Holy freakin' snow

Enough already

We got slammed with snow yesterday … again … to the tune of about a foot. I shoveled us out after it tapered off in the late afternoon … which is why I was kind of bummed when I woke up this morning to find that it had snowed about another six inches during the night. Back outside I went again to clear the snow along the edge of the roof (using a roof rake, by the way … an item I never even knew existed until I purchased a home; if I don’t use it, ice dams form and water from the melting snow and ice leaks into the house, and golly gee, boys and girls, it sure is fun to be a homeowner!) and to shovel us out yet again.

Bitching about the snow is a New England tradition, and I certainly do my fair share … but, to be honest, part of me kind of enjoys shoveling. I’d rather roll around in broken glass and take a turpentine bath than rake leaves, but shoveling somehow works for me. I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m borderline OCD (and Wonder Woman would probably argue the “borderline” part), and forcing myself to do way too perfect a job of shoveling every single square inch of pavement, cement and flagstone on our property somehow soothes that part of my brain.

1. Julie
    Posted January 19, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Is that a picnic table!!??

2. Posted January 19, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Yep.

3. Posted February 4, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Wowwwwww-eeeeeeeeeee.

4. Posted February 4, 2009 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Holy Shit!!

That IS snow…Where in the world?

Lisa

5. Posted February 4, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

A ha ha ha ha. I remember when. I would much rather take the heat than the cold. Thanks for living there and providing us with photos and amusement.

6. reen
    Posted February 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Yep, having owned a house in Maine I can attest that home ownership is one thing, home ownership in Maine QUITE another. I fled to warmer climes at my first opportunity and am enjoying a balmy 70 degree sunny day today! Look ma, no ice scraper!

Just found your blog through Bossy’s. Wandering through and love it! The design and especially, of course, your writing. Cheers!

7. Posted February 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Bossy: Exactly.

Lisa: I’m just north of Boston.

JoeInVegas: Happy to help. And I’ll be sure to thank you when you are stuck inside breathing that canned air for six months because stepping outdoors means guaranteed spontaneous combustion. ;)

Reen: Yeah, I don’t think I could handle Maine either; that’s a whole other animal. (Also: thanks for the compliments. :) )