Painintheassacillin

Painintheassacillin

Zan has been stuffed up for days. Days upon days. He’s prone to sinus infections, so when he’s been this stuffed up for this long, we know he’s going to need antibiotics. (And before everyone gets all “But overuse of antibiotics will cause the earth to implode!” on me: the last time he was prescribed antibiotics was August of last year.) Which is why, when Wonder Woman called the pediatrician’s office three days ago and was told to give it a few more days, we were mildly annoyed, because we knew how this story was going to end.

And which is also why, while at the doc’s office with Zan and Jayna this afternoon, I did all the necessary things to ensure that she wrote him a prescription before we left.

“Oh, yes, he’s been stuffed up for about six or seven days months now. Yes, snot as thick as rubber cement and as green as Kermit the Frog. Kid can’t breathe to save his life. Up all night, every night. What’s that? Yes, I know he doesn’t have a fever right this minute, per se, but we were frying eggs on his forehead this morning. Between you and me, I’m surprised he didn’t suffer permanent brain damage from the high temperature he was running. Had to be around a buck-ten. You’re prescribing him what? Antibiotics? Hmmm … I don’t know. Do you really think he needs that? OK, well, if you insist.”

If I could recover the co-pays for every doctor’s visit we’ve made with these kids during which we’ve been certain they needed antibiotics but have been told to wait it out a bit longer, only to return to the doc’s office two or three days later and be told, “You know what? You’re right. We need to put him/her on antibiotics,” I’d be able to afford a trip to someplace incredibly photogenic, and you wouldn’t have to settle for pictures of medicine bottles.

(BTW: Is there no such thing as an 800mg a 200 mL container …?)

m4s0n501

1. Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:09 am | Permalink

They give you two containers because:
    -it needs to be refrigerated
    -sometimes it has to go to school with the child
    -if it has to go to school, it has to be in the original container
    -it’s a pain in the ass to get it to and from the school nurse while keeping it cold.

Also, my pediatrician told me that kids Nate’s age don’t really have sinuses yet. So I have this to look forward to! Yay.

I must say, though, there’s nothing more satisfying than going to the doctor the first time, telling her the actual symptoms, and getting the antibiotics right away. That happened to me the last time I had a sinus infection and it was pure awesome.

Hope he feels better.

2. Milissa
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 8:26 am | Permalink

As I was reading this, all I could do was scream, “YES, YES, expletive expletive, YES!” Who knew that one could get so worked up over a pediatrician visit?

We have found out through trial and error that our pediatrician’s magic number is 10. If our son has not been on his death bed for at least 10 days, no antibiotics.

Several months back (pre-knowing that magic number) when we were there trying to explain that he was coughing so badly, his lungs were about to fall out, she tried to tell us to wait a few more days “to see.” See what, we wondered? Him die? Anyway, it was at that moment that our son let out the deepest cough any of us had ever heard, apparently channeling smokers he’s never even met. He then looked up at the pediatrician as if to say, “There.” It worked.

3. Posted March 27, 2009 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Big ups to Dave for the well-thought-out explanation on the dual 400mg containers vs. an 800mg container. Kinda kills the joke, but I feel enlightened, nonetheless.

4. Posted March 27, 2009 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I kept the Amoxicillin people in business all the years my son was growing up. I now pass the torch onto you…go forth and medicate!

5. Posted March 27, 2009 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I hope the meds work and he starts feeling better soon!

6. Frannie
    Posted March 27, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I totally understand what you mean about the antibiotics. I have had asthma and bronchitis all my life and a common cold almost always turns into something much worse for me, and I know when that’s going to happen. Even when the doctor can’t identify symptoms like wheezes in my chest or whatever, I KNOW that in a matter of a day or two I will be really sick. Now, it happens that my husband is a doctor and n our first months of marriage I got that sick feeling and asked him to call be in a prescription. He started the blah blah antibiotic stoy and I just looked at him and said, “Call me in some fucking pills!!” He did. LOL.

To be fair, I do understand that over prescribing of antibiotics is a bad thing.

7. Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

When it is green, there is no other way to get clean.

Hope everyone gets some sleep soon

8. Posted March 27, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

My 5 year old boy was prescribed that exact same antibiotic…for Pneumonia….& yes….I feel your pain….I lost count how many times I have been to the doctors office with one of the trio in tow just to hear “It is a virus” Our magic number is 4….takes 4 office visits to get them to realize that SOMETHING is going on…something that requires meds…But hey…what do I know…I’m just a young, dumb, paranoid mom & apparently they know my kids better than I do because they have some fancy piece of paper saying they are a doctor…(Which in some cases I would swear they got their paper from a crackerjack box or something) Oh well, I know how to be annoying to get them to do something :D

9. Posted March 28, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Gawd I totally get it ~ These Drs. think we as parents of these children do not know them better then them, and do not know what they need! Just this week took my son to the Drs. because his throat hurt so bad he couldnt swallow or breathe, and his sinus/nose passage was blocked – but because he had no fever, they labeled it a “virus” and no treatment…ugh…

10. Posted March 28, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I don’t get fevers when I’m sick, never have. But that didn’t stop my chronic ear infections as a baby. One doctor chewed my mom out that she didn’t bring me in when I had a fever and was complaining (even though I didn’t have/do either). My eardrum had ruptured, screaming followed, now doctor. 8 ruptures later, never one fever. Some just aren’t happy if it’s not text book. Hope your son feels better.

11. Posted March 29, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I live on the other end of this no antibiotics spectrum. When I take my 17 year old son into the ER or Doc’s office, they rush him straight to CT Scan while jabbing an IV into a vein & start pumping antibiotics in him, stat.

How do we get such special treatment?

Because when he was 10, he had an ear infection turn in on the brain, causing a blood clot. It’s called mastoiditis, and now, for him, it’s chronic. Sniffle, admit him to the hospital.

When it happened, the top ENT Surgeon in the country happened to be visiting my son’s surgeon and came by to check him out – mastoiditis is rare but it used to be a killer. And he gave me the hour long talk about overprescribing antibiotics, and how that had a part in causing my son’s illness.

So, I do understand the cause and effect, better than I want to. That said, this post was hysterical!! And so damned true. The Doctors have swung completely the other way now and people are suffering because of it. Physically & financially.