Flamingos

Flamingos

Wonder Woman took the kids to the local zoo today, where they saw these flamingos. Notice the egg. Pretty cool.

Of course, if you’ve ever seen a flamingo exhibit at a zoo, you know it a.) looks like a vile mess, and b.) smells like an even-more-vile mess.

BUT!

Did you know that it apparently isn’t because the zookeepers crowd them into too small a space? This according to Wonder Woman, who said that the zoo has posted at the flamingo exhibit a sign explaining that it wouldn’t matter how large the habitat was; this group of flamingos would still bunch up like they do, and still make the concentrated mess that they do. It’s a flamingo thing.

The sign also explained that flamingos don’t have a sense of smell … which is why they don’t mind jamming themselves into a condensed area filled with flamingo excrement.

On a related note: in “Scarface,” there’s a scene where Tony Montana is sitting in a jacuzzi watching a television on which is displayed a flock of flying flamingos.

“Manny, Manny! Look at the pelican fly! C’mooonnnn, pelican!” says Pacino in his best Cuban accent. Always got a kick out of that. Probably won’t have a more apropos time than right now to share a flamingo-related story. Making the most of the moment. Thanks for humoring me.

(Even more tangentially: Scarface was the first Pacino movie I ever saw, back when I was around 13, I’m guessing … and I thought that was how he really talked.)

So, yeah: pelicans flamingos. Enjoy.

m4s0n501

1. Posted May 23, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Interesting!! Love the picture! Have a great weekend.

2. Posted May 23, 2009 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Interesting fact on the flamingos! Great photo, love the egg that was captured too! I have your sunflowers as my wallpaper on my home home PC- I was at work the other day and was walking by someones office and the screensaver caught my eye…..it was the same sunflowers picked from your site!!

3. Posted May 23, 2009 at 9:48 am | Permalink

I just love their colors – so brilliant!

4. Posted May 23, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Great photo! And I love Pachino:) “Say hello to my little friend”

5. Jen
    Posted May 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

not trying to be picky, but since you do grammar checks on the pioneer woman’s site I figured I’d be justified… I believe his name is Al PACINO.
    Love your pictures. :)

6. Posted May 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Jen: Thanks for the heads-up; that’s an inexcusable gaffe on my part. Please don’t tell Al. ;)

(P.S.: When did I correct Pioneer Woman’s’ grammar? I don’t recall ever having the audacity …)