Regina Pizza: After

Regina Pizza

One thing we definitely don’t do enough of with the kids (or without the kids, for that matter) is spend time in Boston. We took a step toward rectifying that by celebrating Memorial Day in the city.

First, we hit Faneuil Hall Marketplace, where the annual street-performer festival was happening. (Think unicycles and juggling and a guy balancing himself on a ball while a girl balanced herself on his head. Fortunately, had anything gone wrong, they would have landed on the nice, soft cobblestones.)

I was excited to be in the city on such a positively gorgeous day, because I felt certain I could capture a few Photo of the Day-worthy shots.

With the promise of stellar photography in the air, I removed my trusty camera from its trusty case, and as I did so, it occurred to me that I had left the trusty battery in the trusty recharging unit, which was back at my trusty house, plugged into a trusty outlet in my trusty kitchen. Balls.

And here’s the part where I sing the praises of my company BlackBerry, which, despite knowing I’d break up with it in a second if given the chance to instead date an iPhone, still selflessly helped me locate the closest camera shop, where I purchased a spare battery from two proprietors who were kind enough to charge it up for me while the family and I wandered around the marketplace some more.

Once we had our fill of Faneuil Hall, we took a stroll along the waterfront as we headed for the North End, a.k.a. Little Italy. There, we chowed down at Regina Pizza, a.k.a. the greatest pizza joint of all time (and, no, I’m not exaggerating; it has been there since 1926, and has looked exactly the same inside and out my entire life … and never have I tasted anywhere else a pie that was even remotely as delicious as that found at Regina’s).

I am always excited to round the corner and see the neon sign—which, technically, says “Regina Pizza, Beer & Wine” … but what it really says is, “Welcome back … and let the salivating commence, for you are about to experience the flavor of the gods.”

(P.S.: For those of you who are interested in photography as a hobby, and are wondering if Photoshop is worth the investment, allow me to present to you the original version of the photo shown above … which, among other things, was taken in broad daylight and featured a completely bleached-out sky.)

1. Jen
    Posted May 25, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

First, I love hearing pizza referred to as pie. People in CA look at me like i’m retarded when i ask for a whole pie…
    Second, I’ll trade you my Iphone for your blackberry any day of the week.

2. Posted May 26, 2009 at 3:20 am | Permalink

Amazing difference in photos. Sounds like a wonderful day. Enjoy the rest of your week.

3. Posted May 26, 2009 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Wow! I was intrigued by the story – sounds like a lot of fun – but blown away by your mad editing skillz LoL… was that a particular action set or are you just that talented?

4. Posted May 26, 2009 at 7:49 am | Permalink

My all time most favorite pizza. There is NOTHING like it!

Hallie

5. Posted May 26, 2009 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Ok the photo looks awesome, now please please pleaseeeeeeeeeee tell us what you did in Photoshop to make it look like that! Pretty Please!

6. Posted May 26, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Very cool! NOW I know where to go to get the type of pizza that is blog worthy. Seriously, I’ve been wondering.

7. Posted May 26, 2009 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Awesome before and after with PS! I’m with Kathy, give us a hint. I really need to take a class or just spend some more time with PS.

8. reen
    Posted May 26, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Ahhhhh, Little Italy! I can’t say I’ve had anything there that wasn’t drool-worthy. YUM.

9. Posted May 26, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Okay. So, now Regina Pizza is on my bucket list! Ditto Kathy and Dcan….

10. Posted May 26, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

The North End is perhaps one of my favorite places on earth. The ambiance of the whole area coupled with to-die-for food on every corner makes my little heart beat faster whenever I’m in Boston.