Do the chickens have large talons?

A few months ago, I was all “Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot!” And you loved it. (At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.)

Now, if you’ll please indulge me once more, I’m going to go all “Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot!” on you again … but, after this entry, you probably won’t have to hear about them for a while, because Chad, their drummer, will soon head into the studio to record a new album with his main group, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and when that happens, I fear that Chickenfoot won’t ride again for quite some time.

So.

Chickenfoot came to town Monday night, and instead of playing a tiny little basement club, they hit the stage at a really sweet venue on the waterfront in Boston.

(A quick refresher: Chickenfoot features ex-Van Halen members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, and renowned guitarist Joe Satriani. Wonder Woman and I are close friends with Michael’s longtime bass tech, Mr. Kevin Dugan, and, thanks to Kevin, are also friends with Michael himself.)

Seeing as how Wonder Woman and I are flat broke and in debt up to our eyeballs, we thought it would be a good idea to check into a really swanky hotel near the venue and spend the afternoon drinking expensive tequila.

Patron margaritas, straight-up with salt. Yum.

Yes, when it comes to fiscal responsibility, look no further, for Daddy Scratches and Wonder Woman are here to show you how it’s done. (In our defense, we actually had only a couple of those margaritas, then retired to our luxurious, water-view room, where we had stocked the fridge with a few Coronas we brought from home … because we’re so frugal, you see.)

A little while before show time, Kevin brought us backstage and let us pose with a couple of Mike’s guitars.

As shown in yesterday’s Photo of the Day, Wonder Woman struck a pose with the famous Jack Daniel’s bass:

Wonder Woman will rock your ass off

I opted for the new Chickenfoot model:

CHICKENFOOT in Boston, 08.24.09

A minute or two after those photos were taken, the band showed up, and we were lucky enough to spend a few minutes hanging with Michael, who really is the nicest guy in the rock-and-roll universe.

I have not asked Michael to pose for a picture with us in more than a decade, but the other night was the first time we’ve hung out with him since I got this whole Daddy Scratches thing off the ground, so I basically made myself look like a douchebag by hitting him up for this photo just so I could show off for the Internet.

CHICKENFOOT in Boston, 08.24.09

There, are you happy? My one rock-star friend thinks I’m a douchebag now. The shit I do to impress you people.

Kevin was our cameraman, and just as he was about to take our picture, Sammy walked up and purposely bumped into him from behind in order to sabotage the shot, which caused Kevin to almost drop our camera. Luckily for Sam, Kevin kept his grip on it … and it’s a good thing, too, or else I would’ve had to have kicked Sam’s ass, and then the show would have been canceled, and the thousands of Chickenfoot fans in attendance would have been totally pissed at me, and Boston P.D. would have charged me with assault and thrown me in jail, and it all would have been because I had to go and ask Mike to pose for a picture with us. So I won’t be doing that again anytime soon.

(Sam made up for it by hanging out with us for a couple minutes … but, really, I think it would have been a much nicer gesture on his part if he had offered to fly us down to Cabo San Lucas on his private jet and put us up at his beachfront home for a few days. I’m just sayin’.)

Because I don’t like to mooch tickets off of Kevin and Michael, and because the publicist shafted me for that small club gig back in May (which forced us to rely on Kevin and Michael get us in, and did I mention that I don’t like doing that to them?), I decided to shell out for a pair of tickets for Monday’s show back when they went on sale, and managed to score seats that were 12th row center.

This, of course, guaranteed that the publicist would come through for me this time … and, sure enough, less than 24 hours before the show, I found out I had a pair of comp tickets for two more seats that were 12th row center … which is how we ended up rocking out with my brother and his girlfriend, who answered the call and made it to the venue about 10 minutes before the group hit the stage.

CHICKENFOOT in Boston, 08.24.09

And then, my friends, the rock, it did commence.

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

Hey, that bass looks familiar!

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

CHICKENFOOT, Boston, 08.24.09

Michael is known for his high harmonies … and let it not be said that the man doesn’t give it his all.

CHICKENFOOT in Boston, 08.24.09

A hot summer night rocking out with Chickenfoot at an open-air venue on the Boston waterfront, followed by a two-minute walk to a hotel where awaited the most ridiculously comfortable king-sized bed ever, from which we did not rise until after 9 o’clock the next morning? Totally worth risking bankruptcy and home foreclosure, people.

Fin

P.S.: Thanks again, Kevin!

P.P.S.: Here’s a little Chickenfoot for y’all (and do be sure to crank it up) …

This entry was posted in Marriage, Music, Van Halen, Zan. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted August 27, 2009 at 12:31 am | Permalink

OMG – your killing me! Hello? #1 Sammy fan here! LOL – I’m glad you got the tickets. Was thinking of you. We’re going Labor Day Weekend to get our CHICKENFOOT fill!!! I can’t wait. Chad just did an interview in our local paper and gave us the bad news he was leaving for RHCP reunion tour. Whatever! LOL – he’ll be back. You can’t live without CHICKENFOOT!

P.S. I’ll email you some pics. Kenny Chesney just played here and Sammy showed up and they jammed at the Cabo Wabo cantina after the concert!

2. Posted August 27, 2009 at 7:02 am | Permalink

So JEALOUS!!!! And impressive picture-taking skills I might add.

3. Posted August 27, 2009 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Great story…so glad you and WW risk foreclosure for such an awesome night!

4. Lopez
    Posted August 27, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

And I am impressed!

5. Andrea
    Posted August 27, 2009 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Wow…Looks like a blast!! I am jealous!!! Very Jealous!!!

6. reen
    Posted August 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Totally worth it. Money’s just money, but how often are you ever going to see these four together on a stage?? Truly jealous over here!

7. Posted August 27, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Napoleon Dynamite – best movie ever. Well, maybe not best – maybe most quotable?

Glad y’all had fun!
    .-= Lauren From Texas´s last blog ..The Moment You’ve All Been Waiting For… =-.

8. Posted August 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Okay i’m jealous of lets see: Evening with no childeren, a night with no childeren, you know a rockstar. Okay as you can see i’m plan old jealous.

Good for you glad you enjoyed
    .-= Mark´s last blog ..Wednesday Night Blueberry Picking =-.

9. Roo
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 9:08 am | Permalink

just delurking to let you know that I enjoy your blog! keep at it!

10. Posted August 28, 2009 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I have 2 things to say about this post.

1. The night of the Chickenfoot concert, my wife and I were at Yankee Fish & Lobster (which is next to the Bank of American Pavillion), and I saw on the sign that Chickenfoot was there. I go, “Hey, I wonder if Daddy Scratches is here.”

2. We used to let our nephew watch Napoleon Dynamite when he was about 7, but we used to fast forward through one particular part of the movie that we didn’t think he should see. When I grabbed the remote to fast forward through it, he goes, “Oh, do you want to skip the part where the old guy shoots the cow in the face?”
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..Interesting Conversation Between Husband and Wife =-.

11. Posted August 28, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

JEALOUSY!!!! I don’t know any famous people. Well, I saw Gene Wilder one time at Disneyland when I was 5, does that count?
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Holy amazing deal, batman =-.

12. Posted August 29, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Yah, just blame it on us. (I do it all the time)

13. Posted August 30, 2009 at 6:39 am | Permalink

first time here and what a post to find- rockin with sammy~!
    .-= maggie may´s last blog ..just because =-.

14. Posted August 31, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

That’s awesome. I dig the little man with his electric too. I hope your ears started bleeding!

Now I know you have one more celebrity acquaintance than I do.
    .-= Scott (simplefather)´s last blog ..Monthly Roundup – July/August =-.

15. Attilla the Mum
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I bought my husband Tony tickets for him and a drummer friend to the Chickenfoot concert at the Tabernacle in Atlanta last weekend. I’m generous like that, and besides it was Tony’s birthday gift. He had an absolutely fantastic time! We’ve seen Joe Satriani perform there befoe, with the G3 show a few years back. I’d have gone with him, but I was afraid I’d be tempted to throw my bra onstage and since I have had a mastectomy and wear prosthetic breasts, it probably would have knocked Sammy Hagar unconscious. And I couldn’t do that, could I?

16. ella
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

My hubby and I are flying to Tahoe this weekend for his bday and the Chickenfoot Concert on Saturday and some margs at Cabo Wabo at Harveys! Love Sammy!

17. Posted September 6, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Sounds like you had a great time! Chickefoot is on our short list of bands we need to see. Hubby and I have been lucky enough to go to a few concerts this summer and we just got a great HD camera that takes videos (you can see ours at http://www.youtube.com/user/nibbanafamily). The pictures you took look great!

18. Posted September 9, 2009 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Well, I do like your story, since I did come here from The Dooce site (yes, she deserves the capital T – I know you agree with me).

Thanks for the fun story – damn nice pictures. I don’t often get that close, so power to you!
    .-= tallnoe´s last blog ..Dirt is Dirt is Dirt… right? =-.

19. Posted September 9, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

My Aunt is such a huge Sammy Hagar fan that her first born is named Sammy!!
    Once she went to one of his concerts and made him a tie-dyed shirt for his b-day, imagine how she shat her pants when he wore it on stage.
    .-= Vicky´s last blog ..The Swing =-.

20. Posted November 23, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Gahhhh, Bossy loves them too.
    .-= BOSSY´s last blog ..Bossy, You Seem Like A Perfectly Nice Girl, But What Is Skin Control? =-.