First class ride

First-class ride

Well, that’s it. Summer’s pretty much over, and Zan’s off to college, and I can’t write much more about it right now, because I have to get back to filling out the form for my AARP membership.

How did this all happen so fast??

He started first grade today. First. Grade. My son. The kid who I couldn’t believe just started kindergarten a few weeks ago, and — What’s that? That was a year ago??

Clearly someone’s been slipping roofies into my iced tea. That’s the only plausible explanation for these massive and sudden leaps forward in my personal timeline. Whichever one of you is responsible for drugging me: Please stop.

There’s not much to say. The kid did great. He was only there for a few hours today, and that’ll remain the same for tomorrow and Friday. After that, he’s in school until 2:45 p.m. four days a week, and for half a day on Wednesdays, and it should be pretty interesting to see how he adapts to the huge increase of time spent in a classroom every day … and by “it should be pretty interesting,” I mean “it should make for some spectacular late-afternoon meltdowns.”

He has come so far so fast, and I really couldn’t be more proud of him. I hope first grade turns out to be a great experience for him. I know his mother and I will do everything we can to help make it so.

zv7qrnb

1. Posted September 2, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

The last year of our lives just flew by, and Cool Baby is only 2. You’re scaring me, but also guiding me.

I need to focus less on his acting up and focus more on enjoying this time!
    .-= cool dad´s last blog ..Cheapo household tricks: Inexpensive laptop cooler =-.

2. Posted September 3, 2009 at 3:03 am | Permalink

Thats a long day for a grade 1! Our grade ones usually have to be at school by 7.30am and they start the day at 8.00am but they finish at 12.30pm or 1.00pm at the latest. Our high school students finish at 2.30pm and thats the latest time for school kids.
    .-= Momcat´s last blog ..I had a difficult start today =-.

3. Posted September 3, 2009 at 4:13 am | Permalink

He is a champ, he’ll do fine. My daughter started 10th grade I swear she was in first like yesterday. It’s freaky how fast they grow up. You and WW are great parents he is gonna rock first grade!!

4. Posted September 3, 2009 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Good for you for letting him ride his bike to school! ;)
    .-= Casey´s last blog ..Pineapple Project: How to Grow a Pineapple =-.

5. Jamaica
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:13 am | Permalink

what a handsome pair.

6. Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:35 am | Permalink

My son’s been doing the 1st grade stint for a week now. He’s adjusting pretty well, but you’re right about the meltdowns… naps are necessary. Oh yeah, you may want to steel yourself for the reaction to the school lunch…lets just say, if Zan has a strong sense of smell, and/or pays attention to what he is putting in his mouth, pack his lunch. My kid was appalled…but he is picky, and likes to be able to identify his food.
    .-= Margi´s last blog ..Back To School…Yee-frickin-HAH! =-.

7. Posted September 4, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

LOL… I love your blog! I cry and laugh daily at your enteries… And when I say I cry/laugh daily…I mean it… I cried at your Father’s Day Post (my dad passed away Christmas Eve 2008 and the first one without him was HORRIBLE!!!) and when you talk about your kiddos the way you do in some of your post…and I laugh my ass off at your “most embarrassing” posts!!

My daughter started 4th grade this year and here in Crosby, Texas, Kindergarten thru 6th grade go from 8:15 to 3:15 daily…and no naps in Kindergarten!! Our Pre-K is only half days though…so the 4 year olds get a break… Oh yeah…I CANNOT BELIEVE I HAVE A 4TH GRADER!! Time flies by TOO FREAKIN’ FAST!!! I laughed my ass off at her the other day… She said…”Mom, did you realize that when I turn 10 next summer…you will be 35!!!” I laughed my ass off…then I cried…LOL…

I hope Zan has a GREAT year in 1st grade!!
    .-= Kari Anne´s last blog ..Kari’s Taco Soup =-.