The Cruel Shoes

Crocs

See those shoes? If you have young children, you’re probably quite familiar with them. If not: they’re called Crocs … and everyone loves Crocs. Crocs rock. Except, c’mere and I’ll tell you a little secret: I think they suck, and I rue the day my children fell in love with them.

I don’t call them Crocs; I call them Trips … because I have watched my children trip and fall in them so many times — particularly Zan, who isn’t the most graceful or coordinated dude in the vicinity to begin with — that one would think I walked around throwing banana peels in their path.

I remember taking both kids out in our jogging stroller one summer day a few years ago, when Zan was barely three. He decided he wanted to get out and run down the stretch of sidewalk we were on. I encouraged him to instead walk, and suggested that running in his Crocs probably wasn’t a good idea … and, as always, he thanked me profusely for such sage advice, said that he knew I offered it freely and with no motive other than to keep him safe, and proceeded to carefully walk down the sidewalk. [comedic pause for effect] BWAHAHAHAHA! Oh god, I slay me! No, what he actually did was, he sprinted off and fucking ate it. Tore up his knees and hands. Would’ve made for a terrific Crocs commercial.

In the years since, there have been numerous additional Croc-related tripping incidents. In fact, if you look closely at Zan’s latest pair of Crocs (shown above, and I’ll admit that the Red Sox theme makes them sorta cool, but it does nothing to improve their performance), you can see the scuff marks on the big-toe area, which is remarkably adept at grabbing tightly to the ground and sending the Crocs-wearer toppling ass over tea kettle.

You know who else apparently likes to wear Crocs? Grown-ups. This came as a shock to me, as I’ve only ever seen them on children, and I tend to think of them as toy shoes rather than actual adult footwear, but it’s true: there are grown-ups who wear Crocs … like these nurses, who have created a four-page messageboard thread about how some of them have suffered Croc-induced trip-and-fall smackdowns at work … and if ever I’m hospitalized, and the EKG to which I’m connected suddenly starts to flatline, and the nurse who comes running to resuscitate me trips and falls, and I die because my nurse was wearing Crocs, I’m going to be so fucking pissed.

Now, I will admit that, this year, Zan has rarely tripped in them, and Jayna has always been slightly more graceful than her brother, so tripping has been less of a problem with her all along … but rest assured that their propensity for causing trip-and-fall disasters isn’t the only thing I loathe about Crocs.

One of the things I really like about shoes in general is that they, you know, cover your feet … feet that otherwise would become filthy and disgusting if you left the house barefoot, and so, yay, shoes! Except, Crocs? Crocs are not shoes; Crocs are sifter-equipped dirt collectors. All those little holes are perfect for keeping out large debris whilst letting in plenty of filth, and I can’t imagine filth loving anything more than a pair of feet that have been incubating in a rubber shell, because when said filth meets said feet, the two totally get it on, like so:

These are your feet on crocs

This is your foot on Crocs

This is how my kids’ feet looked just about every time they entered the house this summer … and though I’ve mostly resigned myself to the fact that, until my children grow up and move out, my house will never again look like two reasonably neat and clean adults reside therein, I simply can’t turn a blind eye to those filth-ridden feet.

Whenever Wonder Woman has taken the kids out somewhere while I’m working, and the three of them return home, Zan always enters the house first, removes his shoes (because we always remove our shoes upon entering the house, because that way we don’t track filth all over the inside of our home … you know, unless we’ve been wearing Crocs) and dashes into my office to say “Hi.”

“GAH! Look at those feet!” I exclaim as Zan begins to laugh. “Deee-sgusting! Go show Mommy right now!” I throw that last part in because, somehow, Mommy always seems surprised to find that the children’s feet have become completely filthy while they were out wearing Crocs, and she is probably reading this part right now and saying to herself, “No, I’m never surprised, I just don’t give anywhere near as much of a shit about it as you do, you neurotic asshole,” and, OK, but I still want her to wash their disgusting feet when they enter the house.

Post-Croc washing

During the course of writing this, I’ve finally discovered one thing that I’m going to enjoy about fall and winter: no more Crocs. It does very little to comfort me over the loss of that wonderful, wonderful, truly delightful, do-lots-of-things-outdoors-and-go-to-the-beach season known as “summer” … but at least it’s something.

This entry was posted in Jayna, Parenthood, Zan. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I’ve never personally seen the appeal in these shoes and now I know that I will definitely cross them off my list for my kids. Of course I’m hoping that by the time that they’re old enough to actually have a say in what shoes they wear, Crocs will be long gone!
    .-= Tabitha (From Single to Married)´s last blog ..Married to An Older Man =-.

• Julie Hafner
      Posted September 28, 2016 at 9:08 am | Permalink

My girls used to wear them. That was until I saw how dirty there feet were when they’d take them off. Now they go barefoot all the time, inside and out. Their feet are actually CLEANER when they are barefoot outside than when they wore crocs. We live with a dirt/gravel driveway, woods and all forms of little sharp sticks. My girls feet quickly toughened up when they started going barefoot both indoors and out. They run about the sticks, woods, gravel driveway, with no pain or injury. As a plus, they can catch tadpoles in the pond without first removing their shoes. So I say “let them go barefoot” as they stay cleaner than wearing crocs and their “tender” feet will quickly toughen up to handle outdoor “challenges”.

2. Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

My son is suffers from the same thing trips and falls, most recent was on vacation and scratched his face. But they are his favorite thing to wear on his feet until snow comes. Hi Grandmother in all her wised seen these lined crocs that she felt would be great slippers, New crocs carpet let’s just say they seem to be lost someplace:). I know the feeling when he goes running in them I just cringe in worry.

And btw I do like my crocs as an adult for going to the pool in the yard they are nice and easy like flip flops
    .-= Mark´s last blog ..Airplane Travel With Kids =-.

3. Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Ohmigosh my husband HATES crocs, so this made me LOL. I never thought of how dirty your feet can get in crocs. Gross.
    .-= Jessica @ How Sweet It Is´s last blog ..Grown-Up Chores I Hate. =-.

4. Courtney
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I agree – I despise Crocs…but they were awesome when I was pregnant. Mostly because my feet were swollen to epic proportions and even wearing crocs that were much too big – I ended up with little circles on the tops of my feet where my swollen feet would press against the holes. They were the only shoes I could wear for the last two months.

5. Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Fortunately I have never bought them. And after seeing that I know I won’t in the future either.
    .-= Thena´s last blog ..Gooey Butter Cakes =-.

6. Kitty
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I kinda like my crocs…am I a loser?

• PanaK
      Posted August 29, 2016 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

You are not a loser. My family are a total Croc family. I don’t care about dirty feet as long as they are protected feet. I have three young boys (7,5,and 4) and what I care about the most is protecting the bottoms of their feet from harmful things they could step on. I love how if we were walking through a park in crocs and come across a small stream I could gladly tell them to have at it and not worry about soggy wet shoes that could rot. Plus they are great for a rainy day. If you are a loser for liking them than I am the queen loser cause I love them! ?

7. Bethany
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Very funny… you’re not the only on with such a distaste for those clown shoes, two very funny related articles:

8. Posted September 29, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

–>I am not a crocs fan either but something makes me shudder when I see an adult sporting them and thinking they’re cool.
    One upside, my toddler had a pair when he was first learning to walk and it was definitely the fastest thing to put on his feet before leaving the house. Then i met velcro.
    ~deb
    .-= WebSavyMom´s last blog ..Spoiled by Grandpa =-.

9. reen
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Two words: MAMMOTH CROCS. Yes, shearling lined ones for winter. My girls’ dad bought these monstrosities for them last winter and you know how dirty their feet get in regular crocs…think of all that dirt trapped forever in fuzzy shearling!! There’s no way to clean them completely. Gross! I can’t tell you how grateful I am that kids grow so fast and they can’t wear them again this year…

• Mariah Hernandez
      Posted December 3, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Wash them in a pillow case at air dry or dry in pillow xase too!

10. Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I’d be pissed, too, if I died because my nurse tripped in her Crocs. I’m with you on that one.

I unfortunately bought these the same year every doctor, celebrity, and TV chef started wearing them. You briefly touched on the worst part, and that’s the fact that they are incubators for your feet. After about 30 seconds, no matter what the temperature is, my feet are dripping in sweat. There are holes all over them, but the Crocs don’t care. They suck.
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..Used Shower Water Leaking Into Our House =-.

11. Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Whoa, I was thinking of buying some Crocs but I won’t now. I trip enough as it is!
    .-= bornfamous´s last blog ..What’s this? A new post on Bornfamous? Can it be? =-.

12. Lex
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I absolutely hate those things, they are so ugly.. but they are so comfy too. In the summer I am all about flip flops, I bought a pair of croc flip flops which aren’t bad.

Have you seen the article about little kids wearing crocs and getting their toes caught in escalators? I know I know.. one more thing for you to worry about.. I have escalator fears in regular shoes lol.

I also heard that hospitals were banning the nurses from wearing them since they have holes that fluids and stuff can get into as well as they can hold bacteria. So.. yea.. never mind you dying while they trip.. how about getting a super bug because the nurse touched her shoe and then touched you??

I know what you mean about summer.. I think it is time to pack up all the summer clothes, it is officially fall here in Vancouver. Sigh…

13. Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Kitty, you are not a loser, just a woman with really dirty feet!

I, too, have never gotten the Crocs things. I actually heard they were going to stop making them and was VERY happy. Just cause I think they are dumb.
    .-= toadmama´s last blog ..It’s All About the Light =-.

14. Missy
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

you do know that they make crocs with fur in them just for winter – right?
    funny post

15. Beth
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I thought it was just my kids.

The daycare told me I had to stop sending my one-year-old in Crocs because they made him trip so much. At first I thought they were lying but then I paid attention and it was totally true. He trips a LOT more in Crocs than his real shoes.

But they ADORE their “cwocs” and the three-year-old will throw epic fits about his right to wear Crocs every day. But they started causing blisters on the side of his foot this year so now he has to wear socks with crocs, which takes away the only advantage of the shoe, which is how easy it is to put on.

16. Posted September 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry to burst your bubble but my daughter has been wearing Crocs to school all year so far, with socks. So, her feet are clean but the socks are yukky.
    .-= feefifoto´s last blog ..Strange And Bizarre October Holidays =-.

17. Posted September 29, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I think the teeny-tiny crocs on babies that don’t walk yet are *kind of* cute, but that’s where I draw the line. After that, they’re so ugly.

I was in the subway a couple years ago and saw a really good looking guy–he had on a salmon-colored button down shirt and black slacks. But thenI looked all the way down andhe had on orange crocks. With WHITE SOCKS. That’s a dealbreaker right there. It felt like a Seinfeld episode.
    .-= val´s last blog ..TV, TV and more TV =-.

18. Posted September 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Gross!

Oh and you are very right. There were a series of unfortunate events that led to the banning of crocs at quite a few schools. I keep recalling one news story about a girl who had an incident with an excalator that always makes me cringe.

But they are so stylish! OK, I’m being sarcastic too.
    .-= Dandy´s last blog ..Fisherman’s Warf =-.

19. Posted September 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Um… is excalator a word? Escalator.

20. Laura H
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

My grandma used to wash my feet in the bathroom sink when I was young after a long day at the beach. I figured out later in life this was because she didn’t want her pristine clean white sheets muddied with my dirty feet. To this day, I wash my feet in the tub before I go to bed because I don’t feel clean unless I do. Never been able to find a pair of Croc’s that fit, I’ll stick to Clarks or Birks.

21. Nancy G
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Crocs are horrible! Like sweatpants, just because they are comfortable doesn’t mean you should wear them in public!!

22. UberLiz
    Posted September 29, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I hate Crocs too. We’ve only purchased one pair and luckily since they match his swim trunks we only wear them to the waterpark; where he knows there is no running.

23. Posted September 29, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

I thought I saw something about Crocs being discontinued?…I don’t own any…I do the flip-flop thing…which is probably worse…then again, at least with flip flops the dirt can escape.

And what’s with the pins and “charms?” Those are like, road hazards.

.-= Jessica´s last blog ..a theme? that’s like asking me to color inside the lines. =-.

24. Lopez
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Funny…my 4 year old always takes her socks off, so I was considering buying a pair of the fur lined crocs for the cold weather (1st pair ever). I have certainly changed my mind after reading this post and the comments. She can be a bit clumsy, so this purchase would probably result in too many ER visits (and copays) for my liking.

25. Sue V.
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Nancy G. You said it. Crocs are horrible. I second the sweatpants idea, and would like to add spandex, pajama pants, and undershirt tank tops (the white ribbed sort that my husband refers to as wife beaters.)
    There is a fan club on FB called: I Don’t Care How Comfortable Crocs Are, You Look Like a Dumbass.

26. Posted September 30, 2009 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Those feet pics make me cringe.

My youngest got a pair of crocs when he was newborn and I had to admit the tiny little things were cute. But he, of course, was not expected to walk in them.

Adults in crocs make me want to vomit and turn them into that “what not to wear” show.

Anyway, keep up the writing and the photography. You get better and better every visit!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..I’m pissed off =-.

27. Posted September 30, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Excellent post!

Even though we have so far kept our kids crocs-free I have lived that third paragraph many a time. As the advice is ignored and the don’t-run-or-you’ll-fall-warning comes to fruition, two things pass through one’s mind:

“NooooOOOOOOO!”
    and
    “Geez, all you had to do was listen to my wise and fatherly advice and you would still be promenading down the street with a full complement of unscathed epidermis and requesting the many random treats that you believe we can both afford and have time for.”

Finally, as a Crocfilth (TM) mitigation technique, I’m wondering if this product might be
    adapted for feet:

28. Posted September 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

My son always wants those fucking crocs. They’re LIME GREEN and match only 1/4th of his wardrobe yet he wants them, so then I have to change his shirt to match those shoes. No Dean, no. We match our shoes to our outfit, not our outfit to our shoes.

Whoever thought of this idea of crocs as a good idea should be shot.

We have a store dedicated to Crocs in our mall. Seriously. Crocs. Crocs. and more Crocs.
    And if they aren’t exactly Crocs, they’re shaped like Crocs. Tennis shoes shaped as a croc? Ugly as sin. Someone needs to go jump off a bridge.

P.s. love your blog, been reading it for some time… just rarely comment, I really should do this more often, but I’m lazy or something.
    .-= Mommy’s Blend´s last blog ..Goodbye, Age 2. Hello next era of a small childs life. =-.

29. Sonia Swensen
    Posted September 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Mario Batalli wears orange Crocs faithfully, and has even been photographed wearing them with a tuxedo. I HATE THOSE THINGS. You are right on every account. My neices and nephews wear them and I swear you have never seen more clumsy children as when they wear those damn things! And they always eat it HARD. Furthermore, my sister who is a nurse has taken to wearing them because “they’re comfortable and clean up easy”. Why don’t you wear garbage bags on your feet then? ICK! However, I never pondered on how blood, guts, and bodily fluids could permeate said shoes and cause her an incurable foot fungus….this shall become fodder for my fire against Crocs. THANK YOU.

30. Posted September 30, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Did you ever read the book, “Cruel Shoes?” It’s very funny. Steve Martin wrote it.

–Matt Bamberg, author, http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Secrets-Using-Digital-Photographs/dp/1435454375

31. CherryTrash
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 1:41 am | Permalink

Im so sorry to inform you but there is actually Winter Crocs available now…with soft furry “uggboot-like” crap on the inside…i pray that no-one buys these ugly sins of footwear for your children.

32. CherryTrash
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 1:42 am | Permalink

^^ crap..someone already informed you…consider urself multiple warned

33. Jo
    Posted October 1, 2009 at 7:37 am | Permalink

I hate these things, they are very popular here in Australia also but I refuse to buy them for the kids or wear them myself.
    I used to work in the operating rom & some of the scrub nurses were wearing them, I hated to see them shuffling along in those damn crocs

34. Posted October 1, 2009 at 8:52 am | Permalink

i always have to laugh that crocs are still being worn. since they were developed in colorado(where i live) i remember wearing them to the jersey shore like 6 years ago and everyone made fun of me, and now everyone in every other part of the country is wearing them. they are so five years ago here in colorado. and most schools have banned them because the kids are always hurting themselves.
    .-= dina´s last blog ..I am A Glassblower =-.

35. Posted October 1, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

My baby just got a pair of “Trips” — she does much better when she rocks a pair of ankle socks with her plastic shoes. They also double as a teether…
    .-= The Football Wife´s last blog ..The Original Little E =-.

36. Posted October 1, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I hate crocks too. Luckily my kids never wanted any (YET).
    .-= the Provident Woman´s last blog ..Hot dogs Where They Don’t Belong =-.

37. Posted October 1, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

As always i’m in awe of your photography skills.

I’m not a huge fan of crocs either, but I sometimes wear them just to anoy people who think only kids should. I’m a bit of an arse like that.
    .-= Dan´s last blog ..Losers =-.

38. Deanna
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 2:01 am | Permalink

In the immortal words of my mother w/r/t the “jellies” that were popular in my day: “I don’t give a damn how cute you think they are, those ugly filthy things aren’t coming into this house, and you can cry until you turn blue.” I thought she was a tyrant until someone gave me infant Crocs as a baby shower gift (I turned around and Goodwill-ed those suckers).

39. Amber
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

The SMELL! What about the smell?? My 19 mo son wore these all summer long. Besides the nasty, dirty feet, the smell of those shoes and his feet when the Crocs came off was enough to make a grown man cried. Maybe my son had extra sweaty feet, but damn….that SMELL!

40. Posted October 2, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve never understood the appeal of Crocs for kids or adults, although I do know adults who swear by them as soooo comfortable. I did a covert mission and went to a place that sells Crocs and tried them on and I swear I do not get it. How are they comfortable?? What is it about having those dozens (hundreds?) of pebbly things in the insole comfortable? Nope, I’m sticking to my Ryka mules.
    .-= Jan´s last blog .."…their goodness does not perish…" =-.

41. lisabc
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

As a nurse I used to wear Crocs at work but switched to New Balance cross trainers when I found they had way better foot support. I work in a Labour and Delivery Unit and thankfully never had a ‘body fluid incident’ while wearing my crocs. Many of my co-workers wear and love them. To each their own. Mind you they generate static electricity like crazy which is why they are banned in the OR.

At home I wear a pair of fuschia Crocs as a pair of slippers and love them. My kids both have a pair and love them also. Yes, they are filth magnets but I don’t mind since in the summer they have a bath before bed.

In the summer I’m a sandal girl, loving my Birks and Naots. Now with the seasons changing I have hauled out my ‘mammoth’ fur line Crocs for warmth. They’re comfy and keep my feet warm while running errands and to work.

42. lisabc
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

P.S. I did have one magnificent Croc fall while wearing them at work, which was another reason to switch back to cross trainers. Thankfully, my kids don’t seem to trip in them like their mother does.

43. Margaretta
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

My 10-year-old has just finished her third summer with crocs, which means she’s on her second pair and has three years worth of charms. And for my four-year-old, for a long time they were the only shoes he could put on by himself — bonus! (Yes, I’ve told him not to run in them too, with similar results). They both know they need to wash their feet the minute they get into the house.

I put up with them because they ARE comfortable, and the charms my kids have collected make them extensions of their personalities. My son loves showing other kids with crocs the charms on HIS crocs. I’ve even bonded with my daughter over them, discussing why she chooses the charms she chooses (especially the ones she thinks I should wear — that’s REALLY fascinating). And I do own a pair — pale blue mary janes. Yes, they’re not fashionable, but I hate athletic shoes, and I want to be comfortable. The ultimate test — walking around an amusement park for 9 hours in 90 degree weather, especially a water park — I’m not going to wear anything else! On that trip this past July we all three wore our crocs, and by the end of the first day my husband was trying to figure out why he didn’t have a pair too!

44. Margaretta
    Posted October 2, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Wow. I just read a few more of the posts on this thread and there are some virulent haters out there. Man, life is too short — some of you really match your kid’s shoes to his shirt? What, every day of his life? Relax! Give the poor kid some lime green shoes, let him have some fun! And you NEVER wear sweat pants in public. Really. Do you all step out every day looking like you’re on your way to a Vogue photo shoot? And the language that people are using — these are words usually reserved to describe the Nazi party. I hadn’t realized that a shoe could be such a scourge on society. The real scourge is this complete intolerance for anything that YOU don’t like. LIghten up!

(Or at least educate yourselves by going to the crocs website. They have some VERY attractive sandals and heels. It’s not all about funny-looking shoes with holes.)

45. Ann D
    Posted October 9, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

I hate you haters!!! CROCS ROCK!!!

We discovered crocs at Disney World after day 3 and my feet cringed at the thought of stepping out of bed in the morning. We ran into a English gentleman who had on a pair and struck up a conversation. He explained that he traveled all of the time, and Crocs were “lovely” because they were extremely light (which they are), and extremely squishy (my words, not his) and they padded the feet well. We immediately rushed off to the closest store and paid way too much money to purchase Mickey Mouse crocs for the whole family. It saved our trip!

I now wear crocs on any trip we take. Yes, they are ugly. An yes, if you are a small child, they will gather all kinds of dirt. But my eight year old won’t wear anything but crocs, and we do not have any of the problems you have reported. He never trips and falls, his shoes are not nasty, nor are his feet, and his feet do not sweat and stink in these shoes. Of course, I do wash them in the washing machine every month or so.

These shoes will save your back, and the soles of your feet the major pain caused from any kind of walking done in an amusement park. They actually keep your feet cool, not hot. And if you are lucky like we are to have an outlet store near you, where you can purchase different colors for around $10.00 a pair, you can color coordinate your shoes with your outfit!

So, once again, Crocs Rock!

46. Posted October 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

i love this post.
    i hate crocs.
    my kids love crocs.
    i’m torn.

47. Posted October 13, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

My 9-year-old has always been prone to tripping so I never bought her crocs (flip flops are a whole other nightmare BTW!). Luckily, her friend’s mom bought her a pair for her birthday and she couldn’t wait to wear them. I let her but she had to wear socks and the heel strap at all times. This solved most of the croc problems!

Love you blog! I came over from Dooce.
    .-= Wide Awake Wife´s last blog ..Recliners =-.

48. dana
    Posted August 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

My kids have several pairs of crocs now, and NOW I know why my son is tripping so much- I thought he was just clumsy….I have ONE pair for the garden= and yes, I admit I wear them to the store now and again….(Call me a clown)…but I think Crocs have a time and a place….beach, home, but NOT for athletic endeavors!

49. Gill
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

do flip flop wearers not get mucky feet ? Birkenstocks make your feet mucky and are just as dangerous. Can’t count the times I’ve tripped in flip flops. Got my first pair of crocs and they are the most comfortable things I own so comfort versus mucky feet ? Comfort and a good wash as I do with any shoes and if mucky feet are all people have to worry about then your lucky.

50. Posted July 17, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Amen brother! I googled “Crocs bad for kids” in an attempt to prove to my wife that i am not the only one who fucking hates that my 2 year old wears these. My daughter is constantly falling in these things. My wife on the other hand, looooves these miracle shoes that have been bestowed upon us by some higher learned being from a futuristic planet where gravity is of no concern. She tells me, whilst laughing, “she never falls in these shoes when she is with me, ha ha ha”. Bullshit i say. Needless to say these shoes have disappeared from my house.

51. Posted April 7, 2014 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Can’t agree more, they are awful, when crocs first came out my mum bought me and my sister a pair each, I hated them, my feet got sweaty and horrid, preferred going bare foot. My mum didn’t believe me that my feet got sweaty because the holes are meant to make them cool, tripped over a couple times, but mum blamed it on my clumsiness.

52. Jeff
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Agreed, Crocs are a scourge. I don’t have kids, but I do have Crocs. I am not going to replace them when they wear out (I’m cheap I guess), because I think they are going to kill me. Here is what I think causes the problems:

1. They make your foot much larger than any conventional shoe. This makes your foot more likely hit immovable objects. Your brain cannot make the adjustment that your foot is now two inches bigger in all dimensions. Thus you trip, stub, drag, snag and ultimately fall more than normal. Hey, we all know how often clowns fall down right?

2. Crocs are made from a very grippy material. My observation is that this grippy material prevents the shoes from grazing objects and sliding off. Instead, when you bump into a sofa leg for example, the shoe just stops there and does not slide off and keep moving like a regular shoe. I find that a great number of things snag my Crocs, causing me to trip and sometime tweak my ankle. No serious injuries for me yet, but I’m not as active as a child. I have seen kids totally take a dive wile wearing Crocs and it is not pretty.

If I had kids I would not let them wear Croc shoes – maybe Croc sandals, but never the shoes.

53. Posted July 24, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink

That’s not all.

The only time my feet were deee-sgusting was when i was poor, and my Adidas shoes got a hole from my rubber eating toe. Even before the hole saw the exterior dirt, my feet smelled and had the black color of your children’s feet.

(Run a test: Test your kids feet with crocs and with another open flat shoes with leather or other natural insoles, same day, in same dirty places, and switch them to ensure equal chances to get dirty… and I’m pretty sure only the crocs will make the feet black)

They smelled really bad and my mother, without today’s knowledge of VOCs and carcinogenic benzene derivates, she knew it was because of the rubber.

Since then, considering Adidas was not a cheap brand, I only bought ugly shoes as long they were made out of leather.

Later, after I confirmed it, (and I was able to pay for them myself) I realized every other brand would be at lest worse than a good brand like Adidas, so I tried buying the pretty ones, even if their insole was made of soft easily-degradating foam, and I just laid a piece of leather on it.
    At first I bought expensive leather insoles, but later I found those ugly brand-new out-of-fashion lady handbags on GoodWill, and the savy man in me made me realize “hey!, I just found a good use to a $5 genuine leather bag!”

I made many insoles from a single bag, which lasted for years!, and now my shoes are thrown away because the are gone out of fashion, and not because they got my feet rotten.

Years, ago, I came across with a book that became a bible for me, which I recommend if you have children, about how every disease is actually caused by parasites, bacteria, and viruses, which just stay in your body longer than usual, and thrive in places they shouldn’t, because they find some pollutant in your body to feast on.

She is one of those researchers who found the cure for cancer and got prosecuted for other silly reasons: Hulda Clark. Then she was offered to get the charges withdrawn, if she stopped her research for the cure for cancer, which was not questioned (nor supported). No doctor can contradict her studies, because she researched them thousand times better than them, and match pathologists descriptions. Your doctor is just too dumbized to just prescribe meds, and even worse, to diagnose you by giving you drugs, asuming the (manipulated) studies to get them approved by their partner, the FDA, were right. Your doctor just doesn’t have the time to explain you how every disease becomes tumor and later cancer, and they’d never give you the pandemic-virus contention directions that her books give you for free (She made them public domain, so don’t pay for them and keep googling: “The cure for all Diseases”, “The cure for all Cancers” and “The cure for advanced cancers”)

Now to the point: Bacteria feeds on benzene, and VOCs, and other compounds in rubber. One day I thrown away shoes I wasn’t using, and one pair, in the back of the closet got moldy. When I looked closer, the mold thrived thicker on the thin layer of contact cement shown up between the sole and the leather.

Also, as she predicted, I ozonized the wardrobe to kill hard-to-reach mold spores (wall pores, wooded clothes hangers, etc) and those cheap shoe’s rubber MELTED.
    Unfortunatelly I don’t have the picture anymore. You could scoop a piece of rubber with your fingernail, as if it was made of butter (the VOCs oxidated or something, and the rubber started breaking down.

One general rule she gives you is: “If the rubber or plastic smells, it’s definitely bad fumes”. Some go to the prostate, like aluminum, some to the tyoroid, some to the brain… When I enter to a Crocs store, my eyes burn! That means thousands of employees with future matching cancers.

Now that they closed, I’d encourage all ex-workers and their family members, to keep an eye on them, to see what the key diseases all of them share are. I’m sorry for them, and I recommend you to read Hulda Clark Books, where you will find scientific (and known but difamed other soon-to-be-scientific methods) explanations for how all the suspected carcinogenic pollution is killing us, while some rich whales know it and misteriously promote and make easier to spread some key chemicals in every day products, even for children, to get rid of them while making money and ensuring “customers” to their super atomic advanced imaging diagnostic machines they also happen to manufacture…

Carl Sagan would have brain explosion with today’s connections between diseases and the chemicals that cause them, and the manufacturers of the spreading agent and the drug to ease the symtoms (and keeping the cure away from your children).

I’m happy Crocs closed. Hopefully there will be a trust fund advertised in late night TV hours, admitting someone had to pay for it, as so many others FDA helped to get us sick quietly, and slowly.

Nice post. It deserved a long comment 🙂

• MaryAnn
      Posted March 21, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I bought a pair of Crocs flip flops a couple of summers ago. The kind with the one color sole, and a light grey inner sole. They glued the two layers together, and right where my toe next to the pinky toe (the 4th toe) met the juncture of this glue joint, I got toenail fungus on both feet, just on the toe that touched the area where the glue was.
      I have been trying to get rid of it ever since. I have thrown those flip flops out now, and will never buy another pair of Crocs either.
      The material they are made out of is so hot and makes my feet sweat. Plus they make me get shocks when I touch metal, like my car door handle, or the sliding door in my house.
      I always knew these shoes are what ruined my toes. 🙁

54. L r a
    Posted July 27, 2016 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Crocks rock! Totally love them & have had no issues with any of the pairs we have- all sizes & styles! Btw- mold grows faster on leather than plastic! I have leather shoes with mold but no crocs with mold! If the crocs get dirty wash them!!!!