Homework

Homework

So the way this homework thing works is: Zan brings home on Monday a packet of homework that he needs to complete by Friday. Tonight, before dinner, he and I sat at the table to take care of some of it, me with the goal of helping him complete two of the seven pages.

Now, let’s talk about a couple of pleasant surprises:

1.) We got through three pages of homework tonight. Three. Uno, dos, tres. And we were psyched and high-fiving and having a grand ol’ time. We’ve already had a couple “I don’t wanna do homework” semi-meltdowns here, so tonight’s experience was a welcome one indeed.

2.) I took exactly one math class in college. I was required to take at least one, and the least was plenty for me, thank you. I think the course title was “Math 1″ … or maybe it was “Math for shitheads who never plan on taking another math class for as long as they live, so help them god, amen.” There are reasons I ended up writing for a living, people … and one of those reasons is BLECH! MATH! Now, as if the whole athleticism thing wasn’t enough of a tip off that a DNA test might be in order to determine who this boy’s real father is, I’ve discoverd that my son loves math. Yes, he used the word “love” when referring to the practice of working with numbers. (Is it true that an over-the-counter DNA-test kit now exists? I might need to run a quick errand.)

Actually, there was a third pleasant surprise, too: as mentioned in the previous Photo of the Day, I am not at all a fan of giving 6-year-old kids homework. Having said that, I’m pretty sure I actually enjoyed doing my son’s homework with him. Seeing how well he’s doing and how much he already knows is very cool, and any activity that requires he and I to spend time together on a nightly basis for years to come is alright with me.

m4s0n501

1. Posted October 6, 2009 at 1:10 am | Permalink

There were some days that I loved doing homework with my daughter, other days I wanted to claw my eyeballs out. Overall, though, I loved the time that we spent together!

In college, I took one math class too. First semester freshman year, first thing in the morning. I remember it as 7 am, could that be true?? Calculus and Analytical Geometry. I passed, but barely.
    .-= Kelly´s last blog ..The Key to Being a Great Dad =-.

2. Posted October 6, 2009 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Wow ! That is awesome, doing homework with your son means the world. He will remember it forever. I do! Not to burst your bubble but I too suck at Math and I could help my daughter until 5th grade after that she looked at me like I was an idiot! Now that really sucks!

3. Danielle
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Um, you don’t need to do a DNA test. The eyebrows unequivocally prove that he is your son. I can not account for the sports and math talents. Perhaps he was exposed to some radiation (or perhaps was bitten by a spider?) as a baby and has developed some special powers… If he starts setting fires with his mind or walking through walls, don’t be alarmed.

Or perhaps WW is a secret Nobel Prize-winning math whiz/Olympic track star and she’s been holding out?

4. Dorice
    Posted October 6, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Homework. Yuk.

I have four kids (15, 18, 21 & 23) and never did I have as much homework as what my children had. Also, I put WAY more effort into their homework, reports, projects, etc. than I ever did for myself.

Without question, teachers give too much homework nowadays. If they can’t teach them in the 6+ hours/5 days a week that they have them…maybe there is a problem.

5. Posted October 6, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I am soooo enjoying the relationship you have with your son. May it last forever. I guess I’m a little sensitive to this right now because a friend’s son is shipping out to Iraq with a construction company. His father gave him a Marine-style “work hard, work safe, be safe” speech. When the father told HIS father he was shipping out to Vietnam as a Marine, he got “you ain’t nothin’ but cannon fodder.” I suppose that’s a little better than the broken nose his cousin got when he told his father he’d just enlisted in his father’s old airborne regiment.
    .-= Gullible´s last blog ..The Russian Journals, Part Eight: The Big, Bad Kremlin =-.

6. Posted October 7, 2009 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Ugh – I hate homework and i especially HATE MATH!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..School Pictures… =-.

7. Posted October 7, 2009 at 8:11 am | Permalink

My dad always jokes that he could no longer help me and my sister with math homework once we got past 4th grade. Somehow I did okay and ended up majoring in math in college. 17 years later, I don’t remember much (with the exception of some basic algebra & geometry that I DO still use from time to time).
    .-= val´s last blog ..I love clever movies =-.

8. Posted October 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

–>I hear you on hating math. I took “Math for Liberal Arts Students” in college with 299 of my fellow Communication/Marketing peers.

~deb