Scrub-a-dub

Scrub-a-dub

See this child here with the little drop of water on the side of her shnoz? This is the child who, just a few months ago, was as disagreeable as a Tasmanian Devil with its nuts in a vice — about everything. No matter what was asked of her, or what she was told to do, she would scream and cry and protest and sprout horns and lay fiery waste to everyone and everything around her.

Baths, for example. When bath time came, the screaming and crying and protesting would reach such a fever pitch that when I would lift her up and place her in the tub, the scene that ensued was similar to that of a blacksmith placing a white-hot horseshoe into a bucket of water, and all of the water in the tub would steam up and evaporate.

And while all this screaming and crying and protesting was taking place, day in and day out, for months on end, I would say to myself — or to anyone else who would listen (so, usually, just myself) — “Jumping Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, I hope this child grows out of this hellacious phase some day soon, for if she does not, I fear that the urge to place my head directly beneath a grand piano dropped from great heights will take over and lead to my untimely demise.”

Which brings us to the picture above. I took it a few days ago. That tiny drop of water on the side of her shnoz? That’s from the water in the bath tub … the bath tub in which she is sitting … and, while sitting therein, is smiling and playing and cooperating.

Now, I don’t wanna jinx this whole thing, but I must say, Internet, that this child has, in the past few weeks, become a sheer and utter delight for about 98% of her waking hours. So, if you’ll excuse me, I have to see if there’s still time to cancel that piano delivery … for now.

p5rn7vb

1. Posted October 14, 2009 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Yay! Let’s hope this phase lasts for a while. I should give my 5 yo more baths, ’cause she loves to lay in there and play until the water is too cold. Gives us all a break from the nonstop talking! The downside – she hates having her hair dried. Oh well.
    .-= Dcan´s last blog ..Take a break from school and learn to read! =-.

2. Posted October 14, 2009 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Yeah for happy children ;)
    .-= Casey´s last blog ..Lemon Rosemary Palmiers =-.

3. Jamie
    Posted October 14, 2009 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Tub time was always a favorite time of mine, and theirs. Cute kid there.

4. Posted October 14, 2009 at 11:48 am | Permalink

–>Look out, the people who are happy child-less may start to reconsider their decisiosn with this post.

My son cries when he has to get out of the tub and loves to brush his teeth. It just happened and I’m not questioning.
    .-= WebSavyMom´s last blog ..Wordless Wedneday – The Eastern Shore =-.

5. Posted October 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Please…send that piano my way! My 4 yo daughter is in a horrible phase from 8am to 10pm everyday, at which point my high-anxiety 9yo son takes over with sleep fears and chronic night-waking. Please send piano ASAP!

P.S. I’m glad you’ve stepped out of h$ll long enough to cool off though.

6. Posted October 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Yay! But careful, you might jinx yourself and tomorrow she’ll be hating it again. My youngest screamed bloody murder for years whenever I or anyone else tried to apply a band-aid. Or remove a splinetr. When I say screamed, I mean screamed. Like it’s a wonder the child welfare folks didn’t come and investigate.

It was like this… “no… No…NO!!! NO-O-O-O! SCREAM!!! NO! SCREAM!!! N-O-O-O! SCREAM!!!

Funny now, but back then I’d’ve been thinking pianos, too.
    .-= toadmama´s last blog ..The LOVEly Leaf – Wordless Wednesday =-.

7. Posted October 14, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Ssshhh…your gonna jinx it…knock on wood!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..When it rains…it pours… =-.

8. Posted October 14, 2009 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

My 9yo hated having her nails clipped and still gets extremely nervous about it! In fact, my husband would have to hold her down while I clipped them. She didn’t stop screaming for the whole world to hear until our youngest (3yo) was born and totally didn’t mind having her nails clipped and we may have bribed her with candy :)
    .-= Wide Awake Wife´s last blog ..A Quiet NIght =-.

9. Posted October 15, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Wow! What gorgeous eyes!!! No wonder you cave. (I don’t know if you’ve ever “caved” per say but how could you not with that color pulling you in…deep and screaming, “just go ahead and wrap yourself around my finger, I’ll wait.” )
    .-= Audrey´s last blog ..Catching up… =-.

10. Allyssa
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 11:28 am | Permalink

My son is going through a “good child” phase too. I LOVE IT! He’s the best kid ever right now. He’s 2 and when I told him it was time to turn off the TV, he asked me if he could go play in his room. WTF? Of course, angel baby, play away!

11. Posted October 16, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Love the story and the photo! Hugs to you all!

12. Mary
    Posted October 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Hilarious! What is it with kids and water? My son screams about getting in like the water is a vat of acid, then refuses to get out.

13. Louise
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

OMG, How old is she again? I have a 4 year old that Pouts and stomps over EVERYTHING that is driving me CRAZY!