Sorbet, anyone?

When I was 10, my parents took my brother, sister and I on our first big vacation. We flew from Boston to California, where we rented a Mercury Zephyr and visited Disneyland. The Zephyr had power windows, which were relatively new to us; had my parents used the money they spent on the trip to instead buy a car with power windows, we’d have been equally entertained.

In addition to visiting Disneyland, we also visited Universal Studios … where, sadly, the “Jaws” attraction was drained due to in-progress maintenance. (There are few things more pathetic than an enormous, fake, Great White shark trying to look fierce as it’s being held aloft by a fully exposed metal arm while sitting in the middle of a bone-dry cement pond.)

We capped our Universal visit with dinner at Victoria Station — which, at the time, seemed fancier to us than the Taj Mahal. As an indication of just how fancy-shmancy the restaurant was: they served to each of us between the appetizer and main course a miniature ice cream cone containing a tiny scoop of lemon sorbet, whose purpose, we learned, was to cleanse our palates before we moved on to our tasty dinner. (Clearly, this was a big deal, because, roughly three decades later, I remember neither the appetizer nor the dinner, but can still see with great clarity the little lemon-sorbet cones.)

Now, I don’t know about you, but the happenings around here last week left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel I could use some palate cleansing before we move on to tastier things. Unfortunately, sending each of you a lemon-sorbet cone is entirely impractical. Thus, I offer up instead a delicious musical interlude:

That there is a duo that goes by the name of Pomplamoose covering a Beyonce song that I’m happy to say I’ve never had the misfortune of hearing, but I’m willing to bet my lily-white ass that Pomplamoose’s version is about a bazillion times better. The lovely Maggie of Mighty Girl fame turned me on to it a few weeks ago, and I instantly was hooked. If ever a palate-cleansing mental sorbet existed, this is it. (And if you need further cleansing, allow me to direct you to this equally catchy Pomplamoose original.)

Both songs have some serious hooks … so much so that they’ll soon be rattling around in your head incessantly, wiping clean the brain space previously occupied by the nastiness of last week’s infestation. You’re welcome.

And for those of you who actually prefer controversy, feel free to read my thoughts about circumcision over at Momversation … because I know you’ve been consumed with the need to know how I feel about that issue.

This entry was posted in General, Life, Music. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted October 19, 2009 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I hope the retro sorbet cleansing helped with the previous blog entry! WHEW – what rocks do they live under? Nice segueway to better things.
    .-= Meg at the Members Lounge´s last blog ..No, we didn’t hit the Sweat Lodge on vacation =-.

2. Posted October 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I loves me any songs that include hand clapping…and this is the happiest little bit of sorbet…ever. Thanks!
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..HAPPY THIRD BLOG-A-VERSARY! =-.

3. Posted October 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Oh…and I just searched on iTunes…did you know you could get an album of their VideoSongs there? I’ma gonna go get me some!
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..HAPPY THIRD BLOG-A-VERSARY! =-.

4. Tracy S
    Posted October 19, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Holy Crap! I drove a Mercury Zephyr in college!! It was 12 years old by the time I got it, and man that thing was a boat!! (the car I had before that was a Dodge Omni, liiiiitle different in size!! LOL)

5. Posted October 20, 2009 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Awesome cover of that song (which I’ll admit to LOVING, oops I did that publicly didn’t I?), but I’m not gonna lie – hippie wide-eyed indie girl is kind of disturbing. Does she blink?

6. Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:44 am | Permalink

I actually like that Beyonce song. But this version is also cool. I’ll have to look at their other stuff. My musical tastes are WIDELY varied.
    .-= toadmama´s last blog ..Sharing Our Cabin with Friends =-.

7. Just me
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:54 am | Permalink

You’re sooooo totally cool, but you blew it on the circumcision decision. Let us all know when he has his first infection, hey? Sheesh.

8. Posted October 20, 2009 at 8:09 am | Permalink

What circumcision decision would that be?
    .-= Will´s last blog .."Pregnancy Stupids"; Not Just For The Pregnant, Or Pregnancies! =-.

9. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Delicious and entertaining sorbet. And good job adding another controversial issue to the mix. You sure know how to keep everyone entertained.
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..12 Pack of Ramen Noodles =-.

10. Posted October 20, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Okay. I HATE that Beyonce song & run from the room whenever I hear it. BUT I really enjoyed Pomplamooses version. I listened to the entire song & smiled!! Thanks for the sorbet.

11. Sara
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the dose of sorbet. Sorry you’ve had so much hater drama. Your kids, my kids and kids in general ROCK! Thanks for being honest (and funny) about your life with them

12. Danielle
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

So, here’s an interesting tidbit for you:

Lemon (from the sorbet) = citrus fruit

“Pomplamoose” is how an anglophone would pronounce “pamplemousse”, which is French for grapefruit = citrus fruit.

Turns out, you weren’t that far off.

Also, am I the only one who thinks she TOTALLY looks like Princess Leia/Carrie Fisher?

13. Desiree J
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Great circumcision post. My husband’s culture does not routinely circumcise babies; they let the men decide for themselves when they reach adulthood (and my husband decided to be circ’ed when he was 18. In a hospital. With anesthesia).

We decided not to circumcise our son – I think it is inhumane and my husband thinks it should be our son’s choice. That is the most logical defense, IMHO.

My husband is a medical student. We live in the midwest. He did a month-long pediatric rotation this summer and observed several circumcisions on newborn boys. All were performed WITHOUT anesthesia. It made him sick. It made me sick hearing about it. This, my friends, is inhumanity.

So whether or not parents choose to circumcise their sons is a personal decision – although I think it should still be the choice of the penis owner himself – but for god’s sake, if you circumcise, PLEASE make sure the doc uses anesthesia.