Halloween parade, 10.30.09

One big blur of Halloween fun

Zan’s class had its Halloween parade today, and his Mario costume was a huge hit. Amazingly, in a group of three kindergarten classes and three 1st-grade classes, he was the only kid dressed as the ever-popular Italian video-game character … and when his class marched past the formation of 2nd-through-5th graders who were camped alongside the parade route, there was a robust chorus of excited “Mario!” cheers. Yeah, my kid’s the cool one. Go figure.

At the end of the parade, Zan’s teacher grouped all the kids together so that the press pool — I mean, the parents — could snap some pix. Many of the parents were calling their respective children’s names, which resulted in kids looking all over the place, willy nilly. Chaos reigned.

When there was a brief second of silence, I pounced.

“HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!”

Snap. Perfect picture. Every single kid looking right at my camera, no one blinking, no one’s face hidden. Best of all: Zan’s not old enough yet to get overly embarrassed by, or super pissed at, me for being the loud, dorky parent.

The picture was so good, I wanted to use it for Photo of the Day. Only problem was, I couldn’t really go and plaster everyone else’s kids up for all of the Internet to see, now, could I?

And then it occurred to me that I could use this opportunity to get jiggy with my new copy of Photoshop CS4. (The “Magnetic Lasso Tool”? They should have named it “The Coolest-Thing-Ever Tool.”)

Voila! Problem solved.

Which reminds me: I’m thinking about posting the occasional Photoshop tutorial. Anyone interested?

m4s0n501

1. Posted October 30, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Hahaha…that is so something I would do! I love it!
    .-= Mama Kat´s last blog ..Eat, Drink, And Be Scary =-.

2. Posted October 30, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Yay! For Mario!

Coincidentally, my sons will be Mario and Luigi (using the same costume company you used, it seems) and my daughter will be a homemade Princess Peach (she’s only 1 year old so her big brothers chose her costume this year – why not go as a group, right?). They are so excited!

Your son looks adorable!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..This one’s for you, adventurer/mommy Steph :O) =-.

3. Posted October 30, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Your kid is the raddest of the bunch!
    .-= Restless Mama´s last blog ..BOO!! =-.

4. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I love that Look At Me trick. I’m stealing that in all big picture situations.
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..I am Not 5’6" and a Half =-.

5. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

By all means, Joe. Glad you like it. :)

6. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

That’s cool I am glad Mario is back.

But what is this photoshop thing? I am afraid that I am a simpleton. I have one of those PHD cameras so you should start with go to your start menu…..
    .-= Ferngoddess´s last blog ..The stuff movies are made of =-.

7. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Please no photo tutorials in the regular feed. I can’t afford any of the cool stuff, all my favorite blogs seem to be doing the “how-to” thing and it’s just depressing.

8. Posted October 30, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Was Zan really there in that photo? Or did you photoshop him in from another photo? It’s hard to tell… but kudos to you for blurring out the rest of the kids. So many wouldn’t think and just post the entire photo… it’s crazy that you would need parental consent forms nowadays to post class pictures!
    .-= Jen A.´s last blog ..Change of heart =-.

• Posted October 30, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Yes, Zan was in the photo. All I did was isolate him and blur everything else.

9. Posted October 31, 2009 at 2:40 am | Permalink

What a great idea. That is soooo cool! Yes, teach us you photoshop god!
    .-= Dcan´s last blog ..Happy Halloween! =-.

10. Posted October 31, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Please teach me!!! I’ve got the program…I’ve got the book…but the knowledge I think I left at the front door!
    .-= Calamity Anne´s last blog ..HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! =-.

11. Posted October 31, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’d certainly be interested in a turtorial or two. i’m self taught (very badly) and need all the help I can get.
    .-= Dan´s last blog ..Reasons to love blogging, part 1 =-.

12. Danielle
    Posted November 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Magnetic lasso tool = biggest badassest awesomest thing ever invented.

13. heatherOh
    Posted November 1, 2009 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Yes please on the tutorials, although I agree, maybe post separate from main page? Either way, i’m self taught, also very poorly! I’d love to know how others do what they do!

14. Posted November 2, 2009 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Yes to Photoshop tutorials!
    .-= Meg at the Members Lounge´s last blog ..I Can’t Help Myself Friday =-.

15. Colleen
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Sign me up for tutorials!

PS – Both of your kiddos are adorable!

16. Posted November 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

–>I rely on The Internet to learn Photoshop which is why I don’t know very much. My hand is up for being interested.

Your son looks cute in his costume too.
    .-= WebSavyMom´s last blog ..What? You didn’t have a dog pulling a cart for Halloween? =-.

17. Sharon
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Yes please on the Photoshop tutorials, especially if you have an easy fix for red eye. You take wonderful photos!

18. AnnabelLee
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Yes! to tutorials! I have CS4 and have no friggin idea what I am EVER doing. So, what did you do to this picture with the magnetic lasso/coolest-thing-ever tool?? While you’re considering whether or not on the tutorial, would you mind shooting me an e-mail to let me know what you did? I have a veritable plethora of photos that could use whatever you did to this one!

19. Jocelyn
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

A big thumbs-up on the Photoshop tutorial idea. I’m there, dude.