Finally, the world realizes what a tastemaker I am. (OK, maybe not ‘the world,’ but at least one nice lady marketing a new TV show.)

As you can imagine, a big-time blogger such as myself gets inundated with marketing pitches day in and day out … because, when it comes to setting trends and moving product, there’s no better place to reach the world a few people than right here.

OK, so maybe “inundated” is a bit of an overstatement. More like “occasionally sent a form letter that starts with ‘Dear Mr.,’ but then the part after ‘Mr.’ where my name should be is blank, and nothing makes me want to keep reading about your product more than that type of heartfelt correspondence. Unfortunately, however, no, I don’t really want to help sell your chewing-gum remover anyway, regardless of the salutation you’ve employed.”

And then, along came the lovely woman at YouCast who sent me an email that not only began with my name, but also included a reference to one of my blog entries that she had actually read. (You had me at “Hello,” Mary Ann.)

In addition to her letter being an attention-getter, she was actually promoting something in which I already had an interest: the new TBS show “Men of a Certain Age.” I had seen the commercials for the series (over and over (and over) again) during the MLB playoffs this fall, and as a man who is only slightly more than a month away from 40, a male-centric program about three middle-aged friends taking stock of their lives is right in my wheelhouse, so to speak.

So I took the bait, and, soon after, received this box:

"Men of a Certain Age" box

"Men of a Certain Age" box open

which contained this unbelievably clever little 2GB memory stick:

"Men of a Certain Age" USB drive

which housed a 20-minute preview of the show.

So here I am, shilling for The Man. Or Woman. Or YouCast. Actually, Ray Romano is the co-creator and executive producer, so I guess you could kinda say that I’m working for Ray. Doing him a favor, really. Basically, Ray fucking owes me.

"Men of a Certain Age," starring Scott Bakula, Ray Romano and Andre BraugherAnd now to the show, which stars Romano, Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher.

A 20-minute preview isn’t enough for me to say “This show will knock your socks off,” but it’s enough for me to say that I definitely plan to watch the full premiere episode.

If you’re looking for non-stop, heart-pounding action, you won’t find it here. This show feels much more like real life (except for an unfortunate visual punchline involving a possum, but I’m spotting them that one). The interaction between the friends is the most engaging element, and their individual foibles create plenty of opportunities for a good mix of poignancy and humor when they all get together. (PS: For my money, Braugher is the most convincing, compelling and charismatic; he’s the kind of actor who I’d watch read the phonebook.) If they can continue to develop the characters as well as they’ve started off doing, and can keep things from getting overly shticky, I’d say they have a winning formula here … at least with viewers who prefer nuance and intellect to pyrotechnics and cat fights (always a tough sell in a country that worships the so-called “real life” drama of “reality” television *gag*).

There’s plenty more info about the show (which debuts tonight, Monday, December 7th, at 10/9c on TBS) here, including some preview clips.

So there you have it: my first-ever melding of my beautiful little blog and the insidious world of corporate marketing. I hope I’ve done a good job of selling out. And don’t worry: I won’t be making a habit of it. (That is, unless there are more marketers out there who want to send me some really cool shit … or cash … or a gift certificate for a neck rub. Some candy might work, actually.)

This entry was posted in TV. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted December 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Very cool!!! I will have to check out the show.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas =-.

2. Posted December 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Too funny! Right before I read this, I set the DVR up to record this tonight! (I’ll already be asleep – yeah I’m old)
    .-= Mere´s last blog ..Publicity, Practice Management, and More =-.

3. Posted December 7, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

That USB thing is incredibly cool. Increadibly.

I got a PR pitch asking me to make a face out of porridge yesterday. In return for a goodie bag of porridge.

I was not massively enthusiastic.
    .-= Dan´s last blog ..Star Wars: A Small Hope =-.

4. Era Sue
    Posted December 7, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

A commercial for the show JUST came on while I was reading your post… how … um… weird… anyway, it airs tonight. Can’t wait to see it :)

5. Posted December 7, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Sigh. To be so wanted as a blogger. Then again, I might hit someone hard with my car if they asked me to be associated with a show called “Women of a Certain Age.” Or maybe I’d smack them with my wrinkle cream. One or the other.

Nice review, though. I agree completely about Andre Braugher. I’ve loved him since Homicide.
    .-= Kate at And Then I Was a Mom´s last blog ..Huh. Apparently rampant consumerism is NOT hereditary. =-.

6. Posted December 8, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I am definitely not a middle-aged man (I am a twenty-something chica) but I have been looking forward to this show for a while now. Glad to you hear you enjoyed it.
    .-= Casey´s last blog ..Coming Soon… I promise! =-.

7. Posted December 8, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

–>I saw the commericial and set the DVR last night to record it. Since my husband is of (cough, cough) a certain age, he may even like it.
    .-= WebSavyMom´s last blog ..Post It Note Tuesday =-.

8. Lex
    Posted December 8, 2009 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

This makes me sad since in Canada we don’t get TNT. :( And I LOVE Andre Braugher (since Homicide as well) and Ray is too funny.

That flashdrive is awesome!

9. reen
    Posted December 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I am in the marketing field and want to shake Mary Ann’s hand to congratulate her for the idea for that cassette-shaped USB…brilliant!

10. Posted December 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Good blog. Wish I could get free shit. Alas, I am one of the people who doesn’t have cable. And no, I am not a hippy. Damnit. The USB cassete = awesome.
    .-= mepsipax´s last blog ..Taken Tuesday =-.

11. Posted December 9, 2009 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Funny, I heard a review the other day that said they show was great, the acting and writing were great but they gave the show a thumbs down because (wait for it) there was no way that it would last as long as Sex and the City. WHAT EVER.
    .-= The Domestic Goddess´s last blog ..It Sucks! A Fairy Tale =-.

12. Posted December 9, 2009 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I watched it! It was really good! I totally want that tape thing. Can you save other stuff on it? And, I want that box. And, the opossum scene was hard to watch. Then it was funny.

13. Posted December 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Will I ever watch the show? Not likely. (Not because of you, more because graduate school is devouring my soul slowly.) However, that USB thing is effing awesome.
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Party dresses =-.

14. Posted December 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

I heard episode 2 is even better. I love that whole sad sack thing
    about Ray Romano.
    .-= Meg at the Members Lounge´s last blog ..Of Mice and Meg =-.

15. Posted December 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

It sucks that I don’t have cable, and not only because I don’t get marketing sell-out opportunities like this one. Maybe I could get a cable company to give me free cable, and in return I would totally tell all six of my readers to watch cable TV.
    .-= E. Peevie´s last blog ..Annoying TV Commercials =-.

16. Posted December 11, 2009 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Sign me up for anything with Dr. Sam… I mean Scott Bakula, and that USB drive is awesome!
    .-= Scott´s last blog ..Review & Giveaway: RealSleep – Simple. Natural. Fast =-.

17. Posted December 13, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I am looking forward to see what next Monday brings… I liked it as well.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Watch or participate? =-.

18. Posted December 14, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I loved making cassette tapes… Ray totally owes you.
    .-= The Football Wife´s last blog ..Christmas Shopping – The EASY Way? =-.