Y? Because I’m a basket case!

Y? Because I’m a basket case!

Somewhere in the basement, there’s a box, and somewhere in the box is a videotape, and somewhere on that videotape is footage of me in a tank top back in the summer of 1993, just a few months before Wonder Woman and I first met. And several years ago, when viewing that videotape, and seeing me in that tank top, Wonder Woman said, “Oh my gosh, that’s what you looked like when I met you!” And then she kind of tried to downplay her reaction a little, but basically what she was saying was that I used to spend a lot of time in the gym.

Since the whole parenthood thing happened, I’ve been pretty hit-or-miss with the gym, except for the “hit” part, because mostly? Miss.

But then I went off my meds and turned 40 and started having a midlife crisis, and thank god my mother-in-law gave to us for Christmas a family membership to the nearby, state-of-the art YMCA, because working out like a lunatic is one of the few things that seems to somewhat balance me out … which means that it is so time for me to put the “hit” back in “hit-or-miss.”

1. Posted February 12, 2010 at 8:16 am | Permalink

From your mother-in-law?othing about that sounds conspiratotial at all.
    .-= Will´s last blog ..Curmudgeon-Pants =-.

2. Posted February 12, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Perhaps the only good thing about how infrequently we see each other is that my mental image of you is from when we were in college.

Wish I could go to the gym…
    .-= Dave´s last blog ..A day in your celebration =-.

3. Posted February 12, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Can we get before and after pictures? :)
    .-= Mere´s last blog ..Expert Witness Reports – Details Matter =-.

4. Posted February 12, 2010 at 9:14 am | Permalink

–>Sounds like your MIL wants you to look better at her pool this summer and on vacation. ha!
    .-= WebSavvyMom´s last blog ..Super Bowl Sunday =-.

5. Wannabevirginia
    Posted February 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Is that a dagger I see from you MIL. Just sayin.

Ohh before and after pictures would be great.

6. Posted February 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I’m right there with you – my crisis is just over 6 months from now – so I’ve started hitting the gym just this week. Good luck!
    .-= Dcan´s last blog ..You Capture – Work =-.

7. Posted February 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

It’s hard to tell the men we love they look like ass. I respect that Wonder Woman used only insinuation and veiled threats. That’s a skill I don’t have. Though I am taking notes.
    .-= tara´s last blog ..Shit I Don’t Want for Valentine’s Day: Shit =-.

8. Wonder Woman
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

For the record, I’m more relieved about the therapy than the Y membership. YOU need the Y membership for your own benefit, I need the therapy for our benefit XOX

9. Pejibaye
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Don’t feel too bad — I did fine at 40, but have been in major mental chaos since last July when I hit SIXTY. When did that happen? I thought I was doing pretty well, and was used to being the young and obnoxious one at meetings; now I’m the old fart. I can still paddle a whitewater canoe with the big boys, but can’t carry it up the half-mile hill any more. Maybe I can find a young man to be my canoe valet? (PS — I’m a 5 foot tall female …)

10. Posted February 15, 2010 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Dang. I was just having the join-a-gym thought because I looked in the mirror and said, “Who the hell is that tired-looking ball of flab?” and realized it was me.
    .-= The Domestic Goddess´s last blog ..A Few Haiku =-.