Don’t call ME Chicken Little, you bastards

Don’t call ME Chicken Little, you bastards

Remember a few nights ago when I was all, “Oh my GAH! The wind! THE WIND, I tell you! It is blowing and gusting with tremendous ferocity, and I fear it shall cause a tree to shatter my tiny little cube of a home into a thousand even tinier little toothpicks!” And everyone was all, “Dude, it’s wind. Please shut up. You are such a pussy.” And, OK, maybe I am such a pussy, but that doesn’t change the fact that I had reason to be more neurotic and anxiety-stricken than usual … because Mother Nature put the smackdown on my neighborhood.

When the wind finally died down shortly after midnight, and my heart rate had returned to something normal enough that sleep was possible, I decided to head to bed … but first, I gazed out the front window and discovered that the entire top half of a tree directly in front of my next-door neighbor’s house had snapped off and fallen across the width of our street, taking down with it some apparently non-essential lines (as, miraculously, both the power and broadband services were uninterrupted). And so outside I trudged with my trusty camera to capture the shot shown above … because that’s the kind of nutjob dedicated blogger I am.

This here is the aftermath, as captured the following morning:

Timber

My house isn’t the big one with the lovely porch; it’s the one to the left, which looks like the big one’s tool shed. All the more reason to fear falling trees.

1. Posted March 4, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Omg. I am so terrified of natural disasters, and I include wind in that description. TERRIFYING.
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Spolled brat =-.

2. Posted March 4, 2010 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Your camera. You took your camera outside? What about a chain saw? Like, to cut the branch…uh, tree into little pieces to burn in your fireplace. That’s windfall firewood, dude.
    .-= Gullible´s last blog ..Perspective =-.

3. Posted March 4, 2010 at 7:10 am | Permalink

“Windfall firewood”? What a great term! We had that crazy wind, too, but nothing exciting to report afterward.
    .-= ToadMama´s last blog ..La Fashionistas =-.

4. Posted March 4, 2010 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Looks like you had good reason to fear the wind – it freaks me out too. Glad no one was driving on the street when it happened!
    .-= Erin of Brownie Bites´s last blog ..We Looove New York, Part 4! =-.

5. Posted March 4, 2010 at 8:30 am | Permalink

I live in the same general geographic area as you, and was glad we don’t have any trees that can fall on our little house the other night. That wind was fierce. I used to live in a house that had two ginormous blue spruce trees on the front corners of the house. They had been planted so close that over time they had to be cut out as they grew to accommodate the porch. The power lines to the house ran through one of them. During really high winds I would lay in bed and listen to the groaning and creaking as I waited for one of the trees to go down, taking the power lines and my front porch with it. I finally had them removed. I couldn’t take it. The local wildlife hated me for a few years after that as I had removed their homes, but I could sleep at night.
    .-= MidLifeMama´s last blog ..A doggie dilemma =-.

6. Jamie, Mom of 3
    Posted March 4, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink

I won’t put my bed under the window anymore because of high winds. One night while I was sleeping the entire bottom sash of the window directly above me head blew out and on to my head. Scared the living shit out of me, I woke up screaming. Thankfully, it didn’t break. I rearranged my room the very next morning.

7. Posted March 4, 2010 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I have big huge pine trees bordering the back of my property and they wave at me in the high winds to say, “hi! we’re going to be in your kitchen some day!” So, I understand. . .
    .-= Fairly Odd Mother´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Happy New Year! =-.

8. Posted March 4, 2010 at 10:29 am | Permalink

–>Am I the only selfish one who thinks, great, now I have to go the OTHER way to get to work?
    .-= WebSavvyMom´s last blog ..Tech Tip: Creating an Add This Button =-.

9. Posted March 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Well all the usual earthquake cities are getting rocked (so to speak) yeah…I live in Los Angeles. I am an Iowa girl so I have spent many nights in the basement under the pool table. Give me tornadoes over earthquakes anyday.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..My Talented Boy =-.

10. Posted March 4, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Yowzers!! Perhaps you were right to fear the gusts, after all!!
    .-= Stephanie~LittleInsights´s last blog ..Take a Hike!! =-.

11. Posted March 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I once watched a tree like that fall ON A CAR as it was driving in from of my house. (No one was hurt…) It was in college, so of course 200 college students immediately went outside, mid storm, to check it out. Not exactly smart, but made for a very entertaining Saturday. For me, at least
    .-= GinaRose´s last blog ..How to fall on a treadmill =-.

12. Posted March 4, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Man, we live just south of you (Connecticut) and we’re on a hill. There were so many times I thought our roof was going to blow right off!! I was SO kicking myself for not letting my husband install that clean energy windmill in the backyard. I think we would have sold something like ten gagillion dollars to our electric company and then gone out and bought that island we’ve always wanted.

13. Posted March 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

One word: MEDICATION – Lots of it.