A serious case of the blues

A serious case of the blues

“You have to spike Zan’s hair and paint it blue tomorrow morning before you drop him off at school,” Wonder Woman told me last night.

“Wha..?”

“It’s Crazy Hair Day.”

Hey, I just do as I’m told, people.

I have to wonder, though: If I’m spiking and spray-painting my son’s hair blue at age 6 for a school-sanctioned event, what lengths is he going to have to go to in order to rebel when adolescence rolls around?

My fear is that he ends up going the Alex P. Keaton route: suit, tie and chapter president of the local Young Republicans club.

*shudder*

m4s0n501

1. Melissa
    Posted May 7, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Wait.. Paint? Are you sure she didnt give you blue hairspray?

2. Pam
    Posted May 7, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

He looks adorable. I must say I have never heard to this tradition of crazy hair day at school and I think it is wonderful. Kids should be encouraged to express themselves and have fun while doing it. I live in the south, Atlanta GA to be exact. We have lots of crazy hair in this city and personally I love it!

Pam

PS Good luck on the move, I hope everyone adjusts quickly and happily.

3. Posted May 7, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Watch out, he’ll probably rebel with country music and buzz cuts.

He actually looks pretty cute with blue hair. Sorta Smurfy. Of course, he’s probably too young to know what a Smurf is, so just tell him one of your fans thinks he looks awesome.
    .-= ToadMama´s last blog ..Dogs Really ARE Like Kids =-.

4. Posted May 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I am so proud right now to have all the counrty music people and fans we do. I live in the best city in the world and with our artist coming together with us we are going to rebuild our city and our state. I would be over joyed to have Zan as one of our artist.
    .-= Ferngoddess´s last blog ..Flood =-.

5. Kate
    Posted May 7, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I’m sure you get this a lot, but your son is gorgeous! He’s going to be a real heartbreaker in not-so-many-and-definitely-not-so-many-as-you-would-like years. :)

6. Posted May 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

He looks cool! I can’t believe it was a mere (haha) thirty years ago that I got regularly beaten up by rednecks and called a “druggie” by school administrators for having spiked hair. The good old days kind of sucked compared to now.
    .-= beta dad´s last blog ..RTT: Back In the Working World =-.

7. Posted May 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

A rare few can carry off that look. You should be proud.
    .-= Kate at And Then I Was a Mom´s last blog ..Happily, the Internet tells me the bites only cause temporary, localized pain. =-.

8. Posted May 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

ZOMG

So for my husband’s and my honeymoon we went to the local zoo. (Shut up we’re poor,l I was pregnant and it’s the Columbus Zoo so it’s a nice zoo.) Anyway, all through the zoo we kept running into this kid who looked to be all of 7 years old. And he had blue hair. Not just kinda blue, I mean really blue. We refereed to him as the Wild Caucasian Blue Hair. We made a pact that very day that when the baby in my belly was 7 years old, we’d dye his hair blue too. Cuz that’s how we roll. That 7th birthday is in July and we are totally keeping our pact. So imagine my pure joy when I clicked onto your blog and saw your sons blue hair. I literally cried out with joy, thereby scaring the shit out of my husband with panic disorder (opps) causing him to pee a little (double opps).

Long live the Wild Caucasian Blue Hairs of the world!

9. Marisa
    Posted May 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Zan looks great!! I’ll have to remember this for the next crazy hair day at my daughters school. She looks forward to that one day all year, that and pajama day! We never had that when I was in school. Of course, having gone to school in the 80’s I would say that every day was crazy hair day!

10. Posted May 7, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

I love it! I always tease my sister that I’m going to borrow my nephew one day, and bring him back with blue hair! (She’s a tad conservative. Not sure if we have the same parents :)
    .-= Kernut´s last blog ..Who Bought Your Sex Toys? =-.

11. Posted May 9, 2010 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Walkingborder (Karen): The Columbus zoo is an EXCELLENT zoo! Jungle Jack Hanna used to be on the Tonight Show and Letterman all the time.

Being FROM Columbus, we went to Gettysburg for our honeymoon. How sexy is THAT?

PS: DaddyS, I did not pierce my kids’ ears when they were little (we lived in communities that did when both were born . . . Miami and Buenos Aires) thinking this would give them some way to rebel as teenagers. Better ears than, say, noses. Or worse.
    .-= The Expatresse´s last blog ..I’m There for an Hour Before I Realize STRAUSSE Means OSTRICH =-.

12. Posted May 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Oh we didn’t JUST go to the zoo. We also went to the computer expo. I still get hot and bothered just thinking about it.

13. Posted May 10, 2010 at 7:52 am | Permalink

As long as it washes out, what’s the harm, right? It does make me flashback to grade six St Patrick’s Day, when my Mom helped me dye my hair green with food coloring. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I had a green tint to my hair for months.
    .-= Jeff Brown´s last blog ..Love at first sight =-.

14. Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Too cute! You did a great job!! At my daughter’s school, they have several weeks that they let the kids do crazy stuff… The week of Red Ribbon/Say No To Drugs Week…Homecoming Week…the week after TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) testing…and the last week of school… They let them have crazy hair day, crazy hat day, weird sock day (wear grandpas socks that go up to your knees…LOL…my uncle still wears thouse socks!!), favorite sports team day, crazy/wacky shoe day (wear mismatched shoes), spirit day and a slew of other things… SO…it’s cool that they let the kids do things like that…but I’m with you…I wonder what they will come up with when they are older…I’m with you on the Alex P. Keaton thing…but I’m sure my daughter will be more like Mallory…she’s a social butterfly at school…all of the kids are her friends and wants all of them to come to the parties that I throw for her during the year…LOL…
    .-= Kari Anne´s last blog ..Karson… =-.

15. Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

What a great picture – gotta love crazy hair days.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..The Prepared Mama (Recipe – Turkey Black Bean Burgers) =-.

16. Brooke
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

There’s nothing wrong with Alex P. Keaton!!! LOL!!!

17. Posted May 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

The good thing is you know who to take orders from and who not to take orders from! And there wasn’t 91 emails involved!