Unemployed, but popular (in a completely obscure and geeky kind of way)

Now that I’m officially unemployed, I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want to do, whenever the hell I want to do it. That’s right, baby: you can’t hold me down. I’m as free as a bird … albeit a soon-to-be-homeless bird with two kids, a wife and a six-figure pile of debt I no longer have any means to pay for. But, hey: freedom is a state of mind … and if you’re as insane as I am, you can look at all of those dire realities and shrug them off with one big, fat, optimistic “Fuck it!”

And while I’m in this free state of mind, I’m going to go on a quick stream-of-consciousness journey. Join me, won’t you?

So, last week, I get an email from the lovely Meredith [Wanner] Groenevelt, whose blog can be found at BuenoBaby.com. Meredith flatters me with the news that she is planning to make me the Featured Blogger at her site this week — a slot previously occupied by the equally lovely Rebecca Woolf of Girl’s Gone Child. Melissa asks if I’d like to supply her with a graphic that she’ll link back to my site. I noticed that Rebecca had supplied a very subtle, artistic, dignified graphic, so, being the class act that I am, I felt it would be best if I whipped up something equally dignified.

You don’t think this is too narcissistic, do you?

So humble. So very humble.

Well, if nothing else, the one thing I do have going for me is the fact that the delightful and talented Karen Walrond of Chookooloonks.com took that photo, and anything that Karen shoots has intrinsic value, regardless of the subject matter. Basically, what I’m saying is: this is all her fault.

At any rate: Thank you, Meredith. I’m flattered. And humbled. And, quite obviously, in love with myself. Your attention has done nothing to lessen that. Nice work.

As if Meredith’s fawning wasn’t enough to swell my head to dangerously huge proportions, I also received this week an email that contained this bit of news:

Cool, right? I was nominated for a — what’s that? I wasn’t nominated? I’m what? A potential nominee? Oh. Ahem. Well, just being potentially nominated is an honor, dontcha think? No? Well, um, at least they included some helpful advice on how to get the most out of my nomination potential nomination:

And while I’m flattered that their editors picked me, it only took a few seconds before it occurred to me that nominating potentially nominating a bunch of bloggers and suggesting that we slap on our blogs a bunch of “Nickelodeon Parents’ Picks” graphics isn’t so much a great way of “rocking our nominations potential nominations” as it is a great way of “promoting Nickelodeon’s Parents Connect website for free.” But, OK, fair enough, I’ve taken the bait. If you feel so inclined, you can go there, find my mug and click the “nominate” button underneath it. [UPDATE: Nevermind; it’s even more blatant than I thought: they force you to sign up for their site in order to click on the “nominate” button. I’m not down with that.] I don’t have the foggiest idea what happens if I win, but I’m betting that, at best, it involves someone dumping a bucket of that green slime on me. So there’s that.

As if all of this adulation wasn’t enough, Wonder Woman and I had the pleasure of heading into Cambridge last Saturday night to attend the final stop on Bossy‘s 12,000-mile (No) Book Tour, where Bossy herself snapped this here shot of the lovely couple:

And by “lovely couple,” I mean those two huge-ass, tequila-filled beverages.

We also met (and, in some cases, re-met) lots of other cool peeps, namely: Meg, Chicky Chicky Baby, Christine, Christina, another Christine, Ron, Sarah, Michelle, Margalit, Angela, Sierra and cameraperson/blogger Erin, as well as non-blogging blog enthusiasts Golden, Betsey and Jeff.

I took a few photos — including one in which it looks like Bossy is flipping me the bird:

Bossy's Boston-area (No) Book Tour meetup

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t actually flipping me the bird … although I did tell her earlier in the evening that I was planning to relocate to her neck of the woods, so she may have been sending me a message about how excited she is at the thought of having me nearby. At any rate, the real post-meetup/(No) Book Tour fun is happening over at Bossy’s site, so I encourage you to check out her official Bossy debriefing.

Now, if anyone’s still reading this clusterfuck of an entry (hey, listen, they can’t all be winners), allow me to end with something unbelievably awesome and inspiring that, with any luck, a couple of you haven’t already seen.

Greyson Chance is a sixth grader who recently participated in a talent show, during which he performed a cover version of Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi,” a song that I’d never before heard until seeing the following video, which Greyson uploaded to his YouTube page three weeks ago. It has since been viewed almost 19 million times, earned him a spot on “The Ellen Show” and reportedly landed him a record deal. (Viewing tip: Watch the cute blonde girl in the background fall in love with Greyson during the song.)

Now that kid is having a way better time than I did at his age. If only I could sing … or play the piano … or have a cool-ass name like “Greyson Chance” … or something.

But, nooOOOooo … my big talent (supposedly) is blogging. What a turn-on, right? Well, at least I already landed my own cute blonde girl.

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted May 20, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Congratulations..ahem…okay…Potential Congratulations on your Potential Nomination! I’m potentially very happy for you. Genuine kudos on your latest post. Although the headshot of you kind of screams caffeine addict but I digress. It’s great to read you’re tackling unemployment with an open mind. Think of it has a launch pad for greatness?

Vincent aka CuteMonsterDad
    CuteMonster.com

Lastest blog posts – “No Leave!”
    Remembering the Play in Playground

2. Posted May 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

This is a potential congratulatory note on your Nick award. Awesome! 🙂

I was totally admiring those margarita glasses.

I’m a loser that lives under a huge, fat rock and had never seen that video. I think Lady GaGa is ridiculous, but that kid singing that song was really good. And you were right about watching the blonde girl.

You pic isn’t too over the top, but I think the one of you, WW and the kids in chastity belts would’ve been better. I LOVE that picture. If anyone sees this comment and asks about it, please re-post it.
    .-= ToadMama´s last blog ..What the Hail? =-.

3. Posted May 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Me again! I was going to suggest you apply PW’s Vintage action to your pic, but I tried it as a test and it made you look very sinister. So I won’t suggest it, but you might to try that just for giggles.
    .-= ToadMama´s last blog ..What the Hail? =-.

4. Posted May 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I’m digging this clusterfuck style entry. That freaking kid is stupidly good…and I think I hate him. I’m not really sure why. I think he’s a future gay. (I say that with love!)

Also, congrats on the nom! Your wife is so pretty! I like your optimism!
    .-= Kara´s last blog ..Coming soon + awesome videos =-.

5. Posted May 20, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

You crack me up. No really. You do. It was lovely meeting both you and Wonder Woman, and I am a bit sad you will be leaving our lovely Boston but it will be Philly’s gain.
    .-= MidLifeMama´s last blog ..It’s Perfect… =-.

6. Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Wow! Lots going on in that post!
    I am happy to tell you I was one of the “one or two” people who had’nt seen the Papparazzzi singing kid.
    “cluSterfuck” BAhaaa..haaaaaa,haaa,Oh Man I love that term,Reminds me of my life!

7. Posted May 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! Er, well, maybe that’s a bit premature. How about Congratulations! on your *potential* nomination to be nominated. I see a book deal in your future! 😉
    .-= Kernut´s last blog ..Sexual Confidence – Scary or Intriguing? =-.

8. Posted May 21, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink

THe upside to unemployment is being able to drink those large tequila filled beverages in the afternoon. Of course, affording the tequila may be an issue. I adore that video, I have seen it countless times and it never gets old. What talent!
    .-= Maggie ´s last blog ..Stuff I made =-.

9. Posted May 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I love a stream of consciousness blog entry, having done many a scattershot one
    myself. It was sublime to meet you and Wonder Woman Saturday evening! Cheers on Nick nomination, too! Although they are scumbags for making you sign up to vote.
    .-= Meg at the Members Lounge´s last blog ..The No Book Tour Recap =-.

10. Posted May 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I’m so flattered to be included in your stream of consciousness. Your writing makes me laugh out loud man! And, I’ve been trying to think up some witty, sarcastic comment to leave here all day, but all I can come up with is this: ME LIKE YOUR BLOG A WHOLE BUNCH. I know, that probably made you make a little pee pee in your pants, right? I’m a real poet.

Also, congrates on your potential nomination and for your ability to keep down large quantities of sugary, boozy drinks!
    .-= BuenoBaby´s last blog ..Big plans people, big plans =-.

11. Posted May 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Look at the ivory tickler’s arms. He’s a pussy. You could totally take him.

12. Posted May 24, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Aren’t you lovely with the shout-out and the lovely? It’s no wonder that you’re potentially nominated for potentially everything! 🙂
    .-= Karen/Chookooloonks´s last blog ..the bloggess and her red dress =-.

13. Posted May 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on the nomina… oops no, quasi nomina… nope…potentially (yea, that’s right!) nomination on whatever is that you were sort-of-kind-of nominated for… 🙂
    Either way, great blog!
    .-= Mely Wilcox´s last blog ..When to Kick the Kids Out of the Nest =-.

14. Posted May 24, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

I think you put your finger on the nature of freakish talent: how could you NOT be awesome if you name is Greyson Chance?
    I curse the day my parents named me Melvin McWeenyPants.
    .-= Didactic Pirate´s last blog ..Confused on the Couch: Watching Lost =-.