Fish Face

Fish Face

For several weeks now, Little Miss Thing here has had a rash that just won’t quit. This has to do, in part, with the fact that, when confronted with any type of itchy skin condition — rash, bug bite, eczema — she tears her own flesh apart incessantly. The word “disconcerting” comes to mind.

For even more weeks now, Little Miss Thing here has been moody, cranky, whiny and prone to bust into a full-blown hissy fit of crying and screaming at the drop of a hat.

This morning, she woke us all up at about 5 a.m. because she couldn’t get back to sleep.

Confronted with all of this, and desperate for any kind of solution, Wonder Woman and I decided it was worth a trip to the doctor’s office today, which was fun, because it gave me the opportunity to engage in a simulated “WWE Smackdown” match with my daughter while forcing the screaming and crying 43-pound fury into submission so that I could show the nurse practitioner the rash in question.

This brief interlude of gazing through the fish tank was about the only part of the doctor’s visit that wasn’t hellaciously unpleasant.

(The nurse practitioner prescribed an ointment that is to be applied to the affected area three to four times per day. I swear to god, if the constant meltdowns don’t stop soon, one of those applications will be administered orally.)

1. Gail K.
    Posted May 26, 2010 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Sympathy being sent your way dude! Those little ones are tough to wrangle – hope the ointment does the trick. If not tape socks to her hands!

2. Posted May 26, 2010 at 7:32 am | Permalink

If its any comfort, the picture is AWESOME!
    I hope LMT feels better before you hit the limit of your patience. I am almost positive the ointments are really bad tasting.
    .-= sara´s last blog ..hair disaster =-.

3. Posted May 26, 2010 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Ugh, that sucks. But at least you got an adorable photo out of it!
    .-= Megan (Best of Fates)´s last blog ..Bacon & Other Loose Ends =-.

4. Posted May 26, 2010 at 7:59 am | Permalink

My toddler has eczema and when it was REALLY bad a few weeks ago, I tried to put myself up for adoption. Two tubes of cream, one antibiotic, and a new dairy-free existence has returned my sweet little girl to me.

Hope your dear one is better soon!
    .-= The Football Wife´s last blog ..Junk in the Trunk – Random Thoughts Tuesday =-.

5. Posted May 26, 2010 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Well, being itchy makes me bitchy, so I can sort of sympathize with Miss Thing. Being hot AND itchy means my husband sleeps in the other room until the AC and benadryl kick in. But I do understand how cranky, screetchy toddlers feel on the ADD brain. It’s kind of like a dentists drill on your frontal cortex. Here’s hoping everyone feels better soon!
    .-= MidLifeMama´s last blog ..Reflecting on beauty… =-.

6. Posted May 26, 2010 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Hmmm… I noticed another commenter mentioned dairy allergy. Have you had Miss Thing tested for food allergies? The jumble of symptoms and the intensity suggest she is having a strong reaction to something, leading to misery for the whole family.

Hope things settle down and pick up soon.
    .-= Lee´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

7. Posted May 26, 2010 at 10:54 am | Permalink

My son has eczema and sometimes he scratches so much he bleeds. I let the wife handle the lotion and ointment placement.

I found your blog through some voting thing. I like it and love awesome daddy bloggers.

8. Pam
    Posted May 26, 2010 at 11:57 am | Permalink

My sympathies are with you all. My neice has eczema and she has kept the whole house up some nights due to the awfull itching, scratching and bleeding. It is a pitiful site. I hope the ointment works and FAST. My sister uses Gold Bond ointment on the eczema after all of the precsriptions, she found that GB works the best.

Baking soda mixed with a little water to form a paste will sometimes help a rash. Apply the paste let in sit for 10 15 minutes and then rinse with cool water.

Good Luck!

9. Posted May 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Beautiful picture! Hopefully that will be the enduring memory from this episode. My mom and dad visited me last week and, in talking about old times and babies, I realized that they didn’t remember anything bad that I ever did. So you have dementia to look forward to.
    .-= beta dad´s last blog ..RTT: Enjoy Babies in Sunglasses and Help Me Go on Vacation =-.

10. Posted May 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Welcome to Girls! Mine has been screaming/yelling/tantrum throwing since she was 3 and hasn’t stopped yet. She just turned 10! Oh yea, BTW, Doctor tells me it’s HORMONES!!!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..My Beautiful Daughter… =-.

11. Posted May 26, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

This is why god made them so cute. No fair!
    .-= BuenoBaby´s last blog ..One piece swimsuit =-.

12. Posted May 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

You just identified the reason all pediatrician offices have fishtanks — the soothing, mesmerizing effect on children. It really does calm them down, sort of like a nice, short coma. I’m thinking of installing one in the back seat of the family car.
    .-= Didactic Pirate´s last blog ..Confused on the Couch: Watching Lost =-.

13. musingegret
    Posted May 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Flaxseed oil capsules have done wonders for controlling psoriasis.