How Grand (which, it turns out, is a headline I’ve already used … but this parenthetical acknowledgement of that fact will distinguish this entry from its predecessor).

The family-crisis hurricane that was raging when last I posted seems to have diminished to a light drizzle for the moment, and thank you to everyone who sent well wishes and good thoughts and shiny happy people holding hands … or whatever. I appreciate it.

Meanwhile … on Saturday, Wonder Woman was giving a presentation at a conference in New York City, because she’s kick-ass like that. What she’s not kick-ass at, however, is navigating New York City solo. Thus, I cruised up with her, as I love me some NYC, and I hadn’t been there in an embarrassingly long time.

After dropping her off at her presentation, I parked in a Midtown garage and proceeded to walk around Manhattan in the sweltering summer heat for hours upon hours. So much did I walk, in fact, that, by the time I reconnected with Wonder Woman mid-afternoon, I was in almost as bad a shape as that time she and I hiked into, and out of, the Grand Canyon.

The night before heading into the Big Apple, I asked my Twitter followers for some suggestions about what to do, and the overwhelming response I received from that one guy included a recommendation to visit Grand Central Station, which I somehow managed to never have entered during any of my previous visits to Gotham.

Which brings us, at agonizingly long last, to the photo above … which I readily admit I framed quite poorly … but what you can’t see is that I am standing on a landing identical to the one directly across from me in this shot … and if you look at that landing, you’ll see a few people standing there taking pictures … and if you were to look at their pictures, you’d see that the landing on which I’m stationed is overcrowded with about five times as many photographers … so the vantage point you see is the best I could manage under the circumstances … which is disturbing, because, given what a big fucking deal I am, you’d think people would part like the Red Sea in order to accommodate me. I guess they didn’t get the memo.

zv7qrnb

1. Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

It really is a beautiful building. :) Maybe you should do some more walking! lol. ;)
    .-= Jessica @ One Shiny Star´s last blog ..How in the world- =-.

2. Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Well I think its a marvelous shot. And I hope it was air conditioned. You are better man than I, for I would have found the closest air conditioned tourist attraction and called it a day.
    .-= sara´s last blog ..Convert your dearest beliefs into ideas =-.

3. Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Wow! That really is beautiful! Now I’ll have to add it to my list of places to visit.
    .-= Kernut´s last blog ..Old Fishermen- Fresh Fish- and Dangerous Bad Boys =-.

4. Posted June 29, 2010 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Excellent shot! Glad to hear things are calming down on the homefront. By the way, the next time you want to part the Red Sea, pull out your staff. Well, that’s what Moses did anyway. Hang in there.
    .-= Melanie AKA The Coupon Goddess´s last blog ..Hot Rite Aid Deal =-.

5. Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Framed or not, I love it! Will probably never get to see it ‘for real’ so thanks for the photo.

6. Gail K.
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

But did you have your “Charlton Heston” on that day? See, no one recognizes those who deserve a parting unless they are Charlton. That’s just the way it is.

(Or you could always grab one of the dudes proclaming the end of the world that particular day to announce you as you enter the building.)

7. Posted June 30, 2010 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Perhaps you should have given a little heads up on your blog that you were headed there… that would surely have ensured the parting of seas. Haha!
    .-= Jeff Brown´s last blog ..Starting Over =-.

8. Posted June 30, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

To quote one of my son’s favorite movies, Madagascar, “It’s grand…and central!” I hate NYC with a passion, but that is just my semi autistic can’t handle lots of noise and people at one time snake brain talking.
    .-= MidLifeMama´s last blog ..For Audobon Ron =-.

9. Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I’ve been “slumming it” in the South for five years now… can’t wait to go to NYC in August. It’s been an even more embarrassing than you EIGHT years since I’ve been there.
    .-= The Football Wife´s last blog ..The Biggest Sandbox =-.