Happy Birthday, America! You don’t look a day over 234! (You look two days over 234. Sorry I’m late.)

A few days ago, I was thinking, “Hey, since I’m posting all of these New York City pictures, I might as well put up a Fourth of July post using that cool shot of the flag inside Grand Central Station!” And then the Fourth of July came, and instead of putting up a Fourth of July post and celebrating our nation’s birth with my family, I was home alone working on a freelance project and accidentally melting shit in my oven … an incident that almost led to some serious fireworks between Wonder Woman and I, because “Who stores a fucking plastic cutting board in an oven?!” and “Who heats the fucking oven up without looking inside it first?!” and, so, yeah, we decided to just drop it.

Anyhoo … hope you and yours had a less toxic-smoke-filled Fourth of July than I did!

m4s0n501

1. Posted July 6, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Oh dear.

Note to self: must start checking the contents of the oven prior to turning it on.
    .-= dw´s last blog ..Happy Canada Day- =-.

2. Posted July 6, 2010 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Due to limited cabinet space, i also store stuff in the oven. Have learned to keep just my Pampered Chef stoneware though to avoid similar product/marital meltdowns!
    .-= Lee´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

3. Posted July 6, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

What an awesome picture that is!

4. Sue V.
    Posted July 6, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Yikes! There is no way I could store stuff in my oven – I would never remember to look. I’m pretty sure you will always remember to look now. Thanks for sharing the photo.

5. Posted July 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Don’t feel bad, Jon. I personally store stuff in the oven AND don’t check the over for said stuff before preheating OR self-cleaning. Take it from me, casserole dishes with dual silicone handles don’t do well in the oven when subjected to those extended self-cleaning conditions…
    .-= ToadMama´s last blog ..Enough Already =-.

6. Posted July 6, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Hah! My niece did that to my sister-in-law too! She put a toy spatula in the oven as a joke thinking her mom would open the oven to put some food in there and be surprised to see some random toy. Well, my sister-in-law turned on the oven to preheat it and neglected to look inside first. Needless to say, they ended up with a green pile of goo on the bottom of their oven. I gotta say, I’m on the side of the argument “Who stores anything (let alone anything combustible) in the oven?” I guess if you have to, make sure it won’t melt. I’m one of those that just turns the oven on, though I don’t have kids…

7. Posted July 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Um, YEAH. It only makes sense to store stuff in the oven when it’s not on. Everyone’s pressured to multitask these days. I see no reason for the oven to be let off the hook.
    .-= Kate@And Then I Was a Mom´s last blog ..It’s refreshing that highly paid comedians enjoy a hearty game of Whack-a-Mole =-.

8. strange one
    Posted July 6, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Are the funky angles on purpose or accidental? Either way, they are awesome.

9. Kristi C
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I once melted an entire dishwasher-load full of Tupperware in my oven. The nice thing about Tupperware is this: once it cools, it just pops off the bottom of the oven in one gigantic piece. It is pretty tough to get off the grates, so you might as well save yourself some time and let it melt all the way to the bottom.

10. jef
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

i’m totally in the camp of: “who stores stuff in the oven?”. puhleeeze.

11. Posted July 7, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Years ago, while replacing a kitchen floor with those peel-n-stick linoleum tiles, we melted several of them in the oven. Why we put them there in the first place? Don’t know, can’t remember. I do remember the boiling black choking smoke that filled the house when the husband turned the oven on to cook something. What a mess! I think we had to evacuate for a couple of days. DIYers we are not.

12. susan in fl
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I found this so funny. I grew up with the “check before you turn it on.” mentality. Then I grew up and had my own oven where I was the only one to decide where stuff goes. Nothing was stored in my oven. Now hubby might leave something in there and I’m supposed to know… But the last time something got cooked that shouldn’t have he both put it in there and turned on the oven….HA!

13. Karen
    Posted July 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Can you share your recipe for marqueritas? Can not seem to get it right!

14. Posted July 9, 2010 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Um. Me? *raises hand*

Me. I heat up the oven without looking in it first. We hid shit in the oven from my wheat-allergic kid. Like breads and soft pretzels. And cakes from holiday gatherings. And when it is finally cool enough to use the oven again, I turn it on and…

*sniff, sniff*

Ooops.

Also? When you said fireworks I thought you meant the kind in bed.

15. Posted July 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

What’s the clean up for that look like?
    .-= Sara – The Football Wife´s last blog ..Change One Thing I’m About to Dye… =-.