Technically, this is a new blog post … but you would be hard-pressed to find a more lame and sorry-ass excuse of a post than this

So this is what it’s come to: I’m in bed, on the verge of passing out from exhaustion … but, like any obsessive-compulsive iPhone user worth his or her salt, I can’t just climb into bed and go to sleep. Oh no; first, I must check Twitter and email, for you never know when that life-changing tweet or electronic missive is going to show up, am I right?

Back in early 2008, I began working on the first iteration of my Daddy Scratches WordPress theme. Took me about eight months to finish building it. During the two years since then, I’ve half-assed my way thru various WordPress upgrades and placed Band-Aids on as many things as possible, but I finally came to terms last week with the fact that this thing needed to be reconstructed from the inside out. Thus, I have been staying up way too late and sleeping way too little in an effort to reconstruct in the space of just a few short days a blog that took months to build the first time around. This has mostly sucked … but with our annual Delaware vacation just around the corner, and our subsequent move to Pennsylvania taking place just days later, I’m kind of screwed if I don’t bite the bullet and plow through it now. With any luck, I’ll finish it before the future residents of my current home are done unpacking all their shit … at which point, I’m assuming, they’ll want me to leave.

And here’s the thing about spending all your time reconstructing your blog: doesn’t leave much time for getting any actual blogging done. So, instead, you get this whiny little missive, which really is little more than my excuse for experimenting with the WordPress app I just installed on my iPhone. Because what I really need is one more reason to lie awake and type with my thumbs instead of getting the sleep I so sorely need. Thanks, Steve Jobs, for making it possible for me to essentially take my computer to bed with me every night. Because that’s healthy.

This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted July 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Well, as long as you’re not using the “sex toy app,” you’re probably pretty normal. I think. Anyway, I can totally relate, being a much-too-late-at-night blogger and having spent an insane amount of time building my blog (from a Blogger template) without it really showing that much. Oh, the hours spent adjusting margins! Makes me want to kill myself thinking about it. Anyway, good luck Mr. Scratches! Congrats on your new house!

2. Sarah
    Posted July 29, 2010 at 7:46 am | Permalink

I like your whiny little missives, they are much more amusing than my own.

P.S. I don’t have a cell phone, laptop, any apple products, just a pc on dialup.

3. Posted July 29, 2010 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I feel your WordPress pain. I have the same mission but don’t want to trash my blog the week before BlogHer. That would suck.
    Meg at the Members Lounge´s most recent blog post: The Lowell Folk FestivalMy Profile

4. Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Ah, the illusion and delusion of wordpress. Anyone can do it. Its free. Come on in and do it yourself. Its simple….really. We mean it.

And when 100s of hours later you look up, feeling stupid, yet strangely elated because you got the goddam margin where you wanted it without causing the shopping cart to move into a new time zone, you remember those fraudulent words that led you into this nightmare. ‘Its free and its easy.” Uh huh.

Good luck. I hope you get out of the world of wordpress before the vacation.
    sara´s most recent blog post: Sara’s advise on not getting married- ever…My Profile

5. Posted July 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

What’s a margin?
    Ferngoddess´s most recent blog post: Well I guess its a signMy Profile

6. Posted July 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I tried jumping my blog over to WordPress a few months ago.
    It was too complex, too non-intuitive (for my small brain, at least), and just didn’t feel user friendly. After three days, I went running back to Blogger with my tail between my legs, begging it to take me back. Which it did, but not after making me do a lot of groveling.
    Didactic Pirate´s most recent blog post: Guest Post today on Clark Kents LunchboxMy Profile

7. Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Can totally relate to the whole checking the latest tweets, etc. before bed. This is why I refuse to figure out how to “blog from my phone” otherwise I’d never sleep and my blog posts would be even more random than they are now.
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: Its the little thingsMy Profile

8. Posted August 1, 2010 at 3:11 am | Permalink

I just got an iPhone this week and I’m still swinging on a huge learning curve right now. And I totally suck at typing with my thumbs. I need all my phalanges to type with any sort of accuracy. I’ve already taken it to bed with me to play Angry Birds and check facebook though. Twitter is my next hurdle to jump.
    Beth @ Moose In My Yard´s most recent blog post: Best 350 Ive ever spentMy Profile

9. Posted August 3, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Found you through Bueno Baby – am now a follower. Don’t tell Ian over at Daily Dose of Reality though because I don’t want him to think I’m cheating on him as he previously was the only male I *followed*.

And yes I can relate to the said phone/twitter/facebook addiction except mine is done through a Blackberry.

10. Posted August 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I’m rather surprised my husband doesn’t smack my iPhone straight out of my hands. I would if our roles were reversed.
    Katrina´s most recent blog post: Its HotMy Profile

11. Posted August 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I’m barely blogging what with all these kids running around the house instead of being at school. Hey, I just clicked on a link over at this blog post: http://pacingthepanicroom.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-guido-palau-inspired-me-to-take.html and I saw your photo here. http://www.chookooloonks.com/projects/1000-faces/
    Deanna´s most recent blog post: You Capture – PlayMy Profile

12. Elise
    Posted August 5, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Oooh, you’re moving to PA? I just stumbled on you via the Dooce post about her making an ass of herself in front of Peter Frampton and now I have to read your blog regularly. I live in the Philly burbs and am always happy when people decide to move here. Like on purpose. Because sometimes Philly gets a bad rap. It really is a cool town! So good luck with your move and welcome, whenever you get here!