My kid’s no sissy

My kid’s no sissy

Last week, Wonder Woman and I attended a parents’ night at Zan’s new elementary school. While there, we had a chance to look at some of the work he’s been doing, including the above-shown masterpiece.

I have often heard Zan speak of different colors that, at various points in his life, he referred to as being his “favorite.” Not once do I recall him mentioning pink. So, either he’s been a closeted pink fan all this time, or this is a new development.

But you know what else it might be? It might be him fucking with his classmates.

Last year, Zan finished first grade at his elementary school in the Boston area. He has a summer birthday, which meant that, at one point, his mother and I had to decide whether to start him in kindergarten after he had just turned five, or wait until he was six … and, because he is our firstborn, and we didn’t know any better, we went ahead and sent him when he was five … and he did great. BUT…

He was the youngest kid in his kindergarten and first-grade classes, and a number of the other kids were almost a year older than him — which, at ages five and six, can make for a pretty large developmental gap.

Now, had we remained in the Boston area, we’d have gone ahead and let him advance to the second grade, because, academically speaking, he did just fine in the first grade … which meant that we’d have had a difficult time justifying for ourselves putting him through the trauma of watching all of his friends move up a grade while he got held back.

However, when we realized we’d be moving to our new house in Pennsylvania just before school started, that problem was solved; since he was going to be attending an all-new school with all-new kids, placing him in the first grade instead of the second grade was a no-brainer.

So now he’s one of the two oldest kids in the class, and he’s much more mature, relatively speaking … as evidenced by a recent exchange I overhead between him and a new friend who was at our home for a playdate.

“Well, if you like that,” said Bratty McBrattypants, “I won’t be your friend anymore.” I’m not sure exactly to what the little snot was referring, but I believe it was a television show that Bratty thought was for girls or babies or some such thing.

“Oh yeah?” said Zan. “Well, guess what: I like it.”

“Oh,” replied Bratty. “Well, I’ll still be your friend.”

“OK,” said Zan. “I don’t actually like it; I just wanted to see what you’d say.”

Balls move, kid. (I don’t think he’d have pulled that stunt a year ago.)

And all of this leaves me wondering if he chose pink because he just wanted to see what his classmates would say. Stir shit up a little, as it were.

That’s my boy.

zv7qrnb

1. Posted October 4, 2010 at 5:21 am | Permalink

What a smart kid! Apparently, he’s born to be a leader and not a follower.
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: Sometimes you win-sometimes you lose- but in the end its how you behaveMy Profile

2. TheAbidingDude...
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Or maybe he is a HUGE vajay-jay….?

Kidding of course…unless he has already started popping his pink collared shirts.

3. Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Nah … he’s a sissy! JK!

Pink’s a great colour. I love it. Couldn’t he just really like pink?

He sounds like a great kid.

4. Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I love it! I’d only love it more if he stuck to his guns and insisted that he *did* like it.

I find myself watching my girls as they grow, wondering how they’re going to develop — follower or leader? independent thinker or sheep? we can hope for one thing or another, but we’re going to get what we get, and ultimately, it’s their life anyway, right?
    pvz´s most recent blog post: family- evry time i see your faceMy Profile

5. Fabs
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Sheer awesomeness right there.

6. Posted October 4, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink

My wife pulls this same trick on me all the time. And we’re still married. So I guess it never works.
    Caleb Gardner´s most recent blog post: Material Mondays Of Leather &amp WoodMy Profile

7. Posted October 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Malcolm Gladwell as well as many other people would agree that being the oldest in a class is better than being the youngest for many many reasons.

I know from your posts and what not that you are in the Philly area. We need to meet up sometime.

8. Posted October 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

My boy’s favorite dress up costume at preschool is the ballerina one. He wears it with aviator sunglasses and proclaims to be a ballerina robot. I don’t think he’s messing with anyone though. I think he just likes that. Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    Gen´s most recent blog post: Happy Halloween- Little HookerMy Profile

9. Posted October 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

He is secure in who he is and what he likes!! Awesome.
    Kelly, The Glass Dragonfly´s most recent blog post: This is So Worth it!My Profile

10. Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Zan: The Puppet Master of First Grade. Love it.
    Didactic Pirate´s most recent blog post: Aw- Crap Another Birthday PostMy Profile

11. Posted October 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Now you have an extra year to pad that college fund…..smart move.

12. Posted October 5, 2010 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Zan also seemed to have drawn a good rendition of Charlie Brown’s cousin! I bet you are hugely relieved the whole first grade thing is on track!
    Meg at the Members Lounge´s most recent blog post: From Flip Flops to FleeceMy Profile

13. Lunch
    Posted October 5, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Yup. Stir it up a bit. Like soup. Social Soup.

14. Posted October 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

My 5yo boy likes pink too. And my older boy loved playing with barbies when he was two. Of course he loved scissoring their legs and smacking their head on the ground. Oh gosh this just isn’t sounding good…
    Madiantin´s most recent blog post: Going home tomorrow! My Profile

15. Posted October 6, 2010 at 6:38 am | Permalink

I’m all about keeping them back. Huge proponent of it, actually. Especially summer birthdays. Good move!
    The Domestic Goddess´s most recent blog post: Random MoiMy Profile

16. Posted October 6, 2010 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I recently took my son shopping for new shoes. Some sort of hiking boot type that could withstand some of the colder weather we get here in NYC. I picked out a few pairs I liked and asked my kid which ones he preferred. None. He had chosen a nice sparkly pair of slippers with flowers and beads on them. I’m pretty sure it’s because he’s so comfortable in his masculinity that he knows he could totally rock those and take down anyone who dares disagree OR he really likes flowers and sparkly shoes.

17. Bratgirl
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

My boss’ son started football this fall. He’s 8. His mom has stage IV Breast Cancer so, he asked for some pink shoelaces to wear with his football shoes since it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. His dad got them for him. Some kid told him only sissies would wear pink shoelaces. He got up in his face and said the NFL players wear pink gloves all this month.

Secure in his manhood at 8. Yeah, your kid and my bosses kid are doing just great, thank you very much!

18. Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Bratgirl – that might be the best story I’ve heard in a while. That kid rocks and I hope his mom kicks the shit out of her cancer.

If asked, my son will tell you his favorite color is pink on some days. He’ll tell me that he likes my floral shirts (I know that sounds bad but I swear they aren’t grandma shirts) and that my shoes are pretty. But he also likes to dig holes in the backyard and I understand Batman to be the coolest of the Super Heroes.
    Katrina´s most recent blog post: Some Thursday Humor for youMy Profile