In captivity

Daddy Scratches trapped in his cubicle.

The homesick author, who is developing jaundice from lack of sunlight.

You know what mostly sucks? The WordPress iPhone app.

You know what sucks even more? Having to resort to using the mostly sucky WordPress iPhone app in order to post a quick little something while trapped in my cubicle. [Disclaimer: If this post and/or the photo above (which may or may not actually appear above; I have no clue what's going to happen when I hit "Publish," but I suspect it will be a blogtastrophe), it's because it was published using the aforementioned mostly sucky WordPress iPhone app.]

All of which is to say: GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

Christ, I can’t wait to work from home again someday.

m4s0n501
This entry was posted in Cubicle. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted November 30, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

You should see if there is a pixel pipe app for iphone. It’s free on my phone, and works really well for posting to multiple different websites, including wordpress. :)

2. Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I don’t mean to pry, but it’s in my nature. How are you doing? First you try to go off the meds. Then in quick procession lose your job, move to a new city, lose an important, special person in your life….How are you coping? Wishing you all the best from Dallas!
    Mere´s most recent blog post: New Rules Affecting Experts Begin December 1stMy Profile

• Posted December 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Yeah, it’s been a hell of a year, eh?

It’s easier to feel bad for my wife, her mom and brothers right now. I feel like my whole life has been tipped on its head — which it has — but it’s worse for them.

Fortunately, everyone’s physically healthy, and we’re all managing pretty well under the circumstances. It’ll be a tough holiday season, but I’m looking forward to the distraction of it all nonetheless.

Such is life, as they say.

Thanks for asking, and for being a faithful reader. :)

3. Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I feel your pain, Jon. I really, really do. I keep waiting to hit the lottery so I can make my escape. What’s your plan?
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: Will he EVER learnMy Profile

4. Posted November 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Hmmm… I wonder if any of your cubemates said, “Dude, check out the weird new guy. Now he’s taking pictures of himself in his cubicle!”

I love the picture though, even if you are talking about not so great stuff like sucky iPhone apps.

5. Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Stop sniveling and get back to work.
    Gullible´s most recent blog post: The Grand Canyon Journals- Chapter Six- Neither rain nor pain nor saddle soresMy Profile

6. Posted November 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I truly feel your pain. I was so happy the day my dh finally got a $200 raise (which was the net amount I was earning per month after childcare/travel expenses etc) so I could stay home w/the kidlets. I’m so grateful to him for working in the soulless cubicle environment so I can continue staying home with the kidlets.

In other news, the first think I thought when the pic popped up was “I had no idea he had three earrings.” Learn something new every day.

Hang in there.
    Madiantin´s most recent blog post: Oh you know StuffMy Profile

7. Posted November 30, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

You think the WordPress iPhone app sucks? You should try running it on an iPod touch, using the MBTA’s intermittent mobile WiFi.
    Dave´s most recent blog post: Wonder WheelMy Profile

8. Posted December 1, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

If you take all your USB cables and tie them together, you’ll have a rope ladder you can throw over your cubicle wall to scale down the other side. Here, I’ll create a diversion:

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!

(Quick. Go now.)
    Didactic Pirate´s most recent blog post: Movember Day 27- The Final ShaveMy Profile

9. Bethie
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 8:55 am | Permalink

It sucks so bad! It must be extra-super-sucky for you, as I’ve never been able to work from home, so I’ve always had to drag myself out of bed.
    Remember – not forever, just for now :)

10. Kristine N
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 9:45 am | Permalink

OMG you are too funny. Hang in there. I think my hubby would go bonkers if he had to go back into an office versus working out of the house!!! I only wish I could do that!

11. Alex
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Just curious – does the work suck, the work environment suck, or does anything other than working from home suck?

• Posted December 1, 2010 at 10:29 am | Permalink

The work doesn’t suck, but I don’t feel personally/emotionally invested in it, which is new to me. Also, it in no way furthers my writing career, which is a major departure from everything I’ve done since college, as well as a major departure from my career objectives.

The work environment doesn’t suck too badly (though I desperately miss sunlight and loathe fluorescent office lighting) but being REQUIRED to be here 40 hours per week does, and spending an hour per day commuting when I could be accomplishing other things does. Things like keeping this blog from becoming a barren wasteland, for example.

But, also: Yeah, anything other than working from home, for me, does suck. And, yes, I realize that most people don’t have the luxury of working from home, nor do they necessarily feel personally/emotionally invested in their jobs … but I took a lot of chances and busted my ass to carve out a career that afforded me both of those things, and it was going pretty well until age 40. Seeing it go up in a puff of smoke, and adjusting to a way of life I had quite purposefully avoided for all of these years, does, in fact, suck.

But this experience also probably is the kick in the ass I needed to become even more dedicated to ultimately creating the life I want … so I’m embracing that part of it.

12. Lunch
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

You need to go take a lunch break. It’s always sunny on the other side of a sandwich.

13. Posted December 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Here’s my worry. That last sentence you wrote? I’m afraid your boss is going to come over and be all: “Let me help you with that!”
    BuenoBaby´s most recent blog post: That time I forgot I had a babyMy Profile

14. Jamie, Mom of 3
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

You are doing what you need to do for now, and that’s important. I’ll bet there’s alot of writing you could do about the time you spend there. Who knows what can come out of any experience that happens in a life time. Good and bad.

15. Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Ahhh, quit ‘cher whining. I just like saying that. Maybe one of those inflatable palm trees, a sun lamp and some beach music will help. That’s all I got.
    MidLifeMama´s most recent blog post: Go Mommy GO! Sing Mommy SING!My Profile

16. Posted December 2, 2010 at 9:52 am | Permalink

AN HOUR A DAY? That’s how long my husband commutes from our house (nearish the airport) to his work (Chesterbrook). Jeebus. That sucks balls. Big hairy ones.

I guess I shouldn’t tell you I just closed the curtain because it was distracting me from my writing…
    The Domestic Goddess´s most recent blog post: This Should End WellMy Profile

17. Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

OMG Jon, I want to give you a hug. How about a shot of tequila instead?

Write when you can, your loyal blogger fans are always ready for a post. I sense a well crafted tale about Christmas toys perhaps? Still laughing over the one last year!

18. Jill
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Oh my god, I too live in cubicle HELL! And here, my dumb coworkers insist on the overhead lights to be off. I am now researching light therapy lamps for my Christmas gift. Don’t get me started on the claustrophobia either. It’s going to be one long assed winter and it’s only just begun. I’ve also had to up my zoloft twice in the last 6 months. WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Where’s my bottle of wine?!?!?

Hang tough, you’re definitely not alone. Although solitary confinement, er, uh, I mean cubicles, can feel like the loneliest place on earth.

19. Posted December 2, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

I know those of us who work from home are fortunate and all, but just to remind you of the more unmentionable side: I realized yesterday that I had been wearing the same pair of sweatpants for three days, had written two deadlines on the back of my hand but partially washed them off, and had no idea whatsoever if the sun had set or risen in the past month. Plus I’m really, really sick of Trader Joe’s vegetarian enchiladas (seven minutes in the microwave! just enough time to write two quality paragraphs, or four really, really crappy ones!).

Hang in there.
    Kate´s most recent blog post: One of the most succinct posts ever BLAME BOBBYMy Profile

20. Posted December 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Hi! New reader. Found you via the Ree Drummond blog. Your comment made me laugh, so here I am!

To comment on your post: I work 30 hours from home and while I love the flexability and getting to Skype in my pajamas, I do miss one thing: other people!

I tend to talk a lot to myself these days, except for the erstwhile phone call I get maybe 2-3 times a week…

Wishing I had a cubicle… :)

21. cathy
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Hi there! This is so random but I saw this and thought of you and Wonder Woman:
    thought it would make a cute Christmas gift!

Love reading your blog!

22. Posted December 6, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I know why the caged Daddy Scratches sings.
    Muskrat´s most recent blog post: sunday morning breaking downMy Profile