We were young and fit and healthy and childless (and young) and full of energy and disposable time and discretionary income … and mostly took it for granted. *sigh*

Us, circa 1999:

Us, circa 2010:

Wonder Woman is headed to the hairdresser today, and she asked me for some input about what to do with her locks. I recalled the 1999 photo up top there as being one in which her hair looked particularly lovely, so I dug it out. Wow.

And now, I will spend the rest of the day hearing Mick Jagger’s voice in my head singing, “What a drag it is getting oooold.” (So old, in fact, that I’m wondering if you whippersnappers even know who Mick Jagger is.)

Actually, I have occasionally gone on Facebook and seen present-day pictures of people I graduated high school with … and some look fantastic … and some look like they could be the grandparents of people I graduated high school with … so, on a sliding scale of “Don’t look a day over 18” to “Holy shit, is that the Crypt Keeper?,” I think my lovely bride and I are holding up OK … but those of you who don’t yet have children and plan to do so, consider yourself warned: Those yet-to-be-born kids are gonna age your ass like you would not believe.

This entry was posted in Life, Marriage. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted January 28, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Personally I think you look better today than you did in 1999. You’ve aged really well.

2. Posted January 28, 2011 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I agree. You look a lot better now. WW looks the same (beautiful).
    Dave´s most recent blog post: Around the SunMy Profile

3. Posted January 28, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Sorry, dude, but I have to agree with the first two comments.
    ToadMama´s most recent blog post: The Bridges of Bedford CountyMy Profile

4. Just Jill
    Posted January 28, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

And I too, agree with the above comments. I also, wholeheartedly agree, about the kid thing – holy cow. The “your children keep you young” talk you’ve heard? Pure bullshit.
    You sure had some lovely hair there, daddy. And WW looked fabulous then and now; she hasn’t changed a bit.

5. Posted January 28, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

We climbed a mountain in Arizona last week with our childless friends. [They’re older than we are.] When we finally go tot the top of the mountain, I celebrated by begging strangers for a defibrillator. My friend just stood their waiting for me to gather my shit. She almost looked bored, like she was waiting in line for her ice tea at Starbucks.

Our childless friends climb that mountain everyday, whereas I stand over the stove and eat the mac-n-cheese I make for my kids out of the pot. You can not underestimate a child-filled vs child-less lifestyle.

[BTW…You guys look great.]
    BuenoBaby´s most recent blog post: Want to hear about that time I climbed a mountain Of course you doMy Profile

6. Posted January 28, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Your lovely bride hasn’t aged five minues. You, on the other hand, look much better now than then.
    The Domestic Goddess´s most recent blog post: Votes for Women!My Profile

7. Posted January 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

You guys look fabulous. And if you think you’re old, oh my. I am old.

With age came many valuable qualities, not the least of which is giving just so much LESS of a shit about stuff. It’s beyond liberating and I live it daily.

The problem is that when you reach a certain age you FORGET who Mick Jagger is…or think you must have slept with him at some point…
    Susan´s most recent blog post: Sprung From CaptivityMy Profile

8. Posted January 28, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I now suspect that somewhere in an attic there’s a Portrait of Dorian Scratches. Because, except for the length of your hair, there’s disturbingly little difference in how you guys look. You DEFINITELY do not look like two kids and 11 years of life have happened between the two photos.
    Jan´s most recent blog post: take twoMy Profile

9. Posted January 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with everyone else…. you have aged gracefully. I was actually just talking to the hubs about this the other day… Kids age you fast…. especially during the teen years.
    Chell´s most recent blog post: Alone TimeMy Profile

10. Posted January 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

You guys look amazingly unmarked by time. Love the Van Halen hair, Jon!
    Meg at the Members Lounge´s most recent blog post: I Can’t Help Myself Friday State of the UnionMy Profile

11. Posted January 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Were you just using this post as a ruse to get compliments? Because seriously, you look great.
    Dana´s most recent blog post: Freeze frameMy Profile

12. Posted January 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

You just don’t realize how much you miss your sleep until you can no longer get it.

I too agree with everyone’s comments, you have both aged gracefully and you look fantastic. I much prefer the shorter hair on you. And for WW, I love her hair now – don’t change a thing.
    Wendy´s most recent blog post: Nicole SuzanneMy Profile

13. Posted January 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I think you both look way better today, then back then.
    Corinne´s most recent blog post: Winter- Winter- Rah- Rah- RahMy Profile

14. Posted January 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with the rest of the comments – WW doesn’t look like she’s aged a day, and you look fantastic! It seems as though the sleepless, child-dominated lifestyle agrees with you both!
    Loonybin´s most recent blog post: Im Pretty Sure Im Being Haunted By A Ghost Who Wants To Steal My IdentityMy Profile

15. Frannie
    Posted January 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Ditto everybody who said you both look great and WW hasn’t aged a day and you look better with short hair. But, I am 58 and just you frigging wait, you young puppies! Ha!

16. Posted January 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

You think you both look older now? HA! Just you wait until those little darlings hit the teen years! Ask me, I know.

Actually you both look great.
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: Its a wonder I dont drink moreMy Profile

17. Posted January 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll just go ahead and throw my comment on top of the pile- you look just as good if not better than you did in 1999. Props to you both!
    Greer´s most recent blog post: dont forget to rememberMy Profile

18. Catherine McP
    Posted January 28, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Honest to Pete, your wife hasnt changed ONE IOTA! And aside from the hair, you havent either, comparison pictures are fun!

19. Posted January 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

WW looks the same or even better. I think that is kind of rude. I don’t have kids and am shriveling up fast. It just isn’t pretty.

20. Posted January 29, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Our daughter is only 3.5 and the hubs and I look about a decade older…so upsetting.

21. Posted January 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

You’re all too kind.
    I swear, I wasn’t fishing for compliments.
    I probably should have posted a photo of us nowadays taken just after we climb out of bed in the morning; then you’d see how ravaged by accelerated aging we are. 😉

22. Posted January 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure if you did any Photoshopping on yourself, you’ve mentioned you usually do, but even if you did, I agree with everyone else in saying you look great and better than you did in the first photo. I mean, sure, you looked good then too, but your face was fuller and you looked more cute than handsome. Now you look more grown up and masculine instead of more childlike, and you absolutely don’t look in your 40’s. Your wife’s only differences are how she does her hair and eyebrows, she looks fantastic. You’re both aging wonderfully, believe it or not!

23. Posted January 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Awesome!!! Someone told me this weekend I look younger than I did when he knew me 10 years ago and wanted to know why. I don’t have kids….. I guess not aging as fast as everyone else is the silver lining I hadn’t realized?
    watercolor´s most recent blog post: St Alexis Rocks!My Profile

24. Tricia
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Dude, you’re way sexier now than you were in 1999, and I’m sure your gorgeous wife agrees you’re only getting better with age. If anything, you should keep these photos displayed as motivation to stay the course! Clearly, you’re both doing something right in your life together. 🙂

25. Posted January 30, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Is that your real hair? Because…holy shit, dude!
    Muskrat´s most recent blog post: increase the peaceMy Profile

26. Posted February 1, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

You both look great today! Your lovely wife doesn’t look a day older! Perhaps it’s those lovely cocktails that highlight the bone structure of your faces? The way the light plays off the martini glasses? 🙂

27. Posted February 1, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I don’t know whose hair I’m most envious of in the pre-kid pic…hers or yours? Wow. Just…LOL…wow. 😉
    Brandi C.´s most recent blog post: Just When You Think You’ve Read It AllMy Profile

28. Posted February 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

You guys are hip! C’mon! Older, yes. But, better.

29. Posted February 2, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Yeah, but dude as we get older doesn’t life get a lot simpler? So much less to worry about. The chaos all kind of cancels itself out.

You might enjoy the series about relationships I am doing with the author Laura Munson over at http://www.goodmenproject.com, which I founded, which is here:

My friends and I have a running joke. When in doubt go in the back yard, dig a hole, and climb in!

30. Posted February 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Your wife looks as lovely as ever and you seem to have changed for the better, but…. in the first picture you kinda remind me of Charlie Sheen but without all the cocaine and hookers (really, it’s just the shirt!).
    Jenna´s most recent blog post: Baby its cold outside!My Profile

31. Posted February 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

In the first pic: Your wife – hawt. You – not so much.
    In the second pic: Your wife – hawt. You – looking WAY better than the first pic. Short hair and stubble suits you.
    Madiantin´s most recent blog post: Oh my gosh!My Profile

32. Posted March 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

You both look lovely then and now!