Enter the Daddy

Jayna is friends with a girl in our neighborhood whose live-in grandmother is from China and speaks no English. Recently, I walked Jayna over to their house so that she could ask if her friend was able to come out and play.

“Hi,” I said when the grandmother appeared at the screen door. She smiled and made a couple of sounds and gestures that I took to mean that Jayna’s friend was not at home. “Oh, she’s not home? Okay,” I said. The grandmother then made a couple more brief sounds and gestures that I took to mean that she wanted us to check back later. “Okay, maybe we’ll try her again later,” I said. “Thank you!”

As we headed back to our house, my daughter took my hand, looked up at me, and in a positively awestruck tone said, “Daddy, you speak Chinese?

Yes, dear. Yes I do. And also? My kung fu is strong.

This entry was posted in Jayna, Parenthood. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted August 23, 2011 at 5:51 am | Permalink

LOL! This just made my morning.
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: The end of life as I know it…..My Profile

2. cathy
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I LOVE it! 🙂

3. Posted August 23, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

You look extremely ripped. I’m impressed!
    Meg at the Members Lounge´s most recent blog post: Monday Potpourri for $400My Profile

4. Posted August 23, 2011 at 8:18 am | Permalink

SO great! you go daddy-san!
    Sunday´s most recent blog post: Where is My Moment?My Profile

5. Posted August 23, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Next time, wow Wai-Po (Chinese for “grandma”) by telling her “Ni hao ma?” which means “How are you?” Throw in a “shay-shay” for “thank you” and “dzai-jin!” for “good bye!” She will be impressed, and you daughter will be proud.
    Amanda´s most recent blog post: See: It’s NOT Just MeMy Profile

6. Posted August 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

It’s really all about the hair when speaking Chinese. That’s why most of us can’t.

7. Posted August 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Ha! Love it! I wish I was still that easily amazed.
    Pink Dog´s most recent blog post: What About Bob?My Profile

8. Catherine McP
    Posted August 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Good job Daddy! Kids need to know parents know everything. Now for thanking Amanda for a little Chinese speaking lesson!

9. Posted August 23, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

There’s just no other weird-creepy-stalker-like way of saying that your daughter and my middle daughter look like they were made from the same mold.

Just no way.

[BTW, we have gorgeous daughters. I mean you and your wife, and my husband and myself. Our daughters. Not OUR daughters.]
    BuenoBaby´s most recent blog post: Another nugget of fine parenting adviceMy Profile

10. Posted August 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Your talents never cease! And that hairdo? Totally you.
    Melanie´s most recent blog post: Watching From AfarMy Profile

• Posted August 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Bruce Lee was rocking the Justin Beiber ’do way before Justin Bieber.

11. Posted August 24, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Crouching Tiger Hidden Daddy.
    William´s most recent blog post: Do you think you should do that?My Profile

12. Posted August 24, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

What? Doesn’t she know that Daddy knows everything?
    Classic NYer´s most recent blog post: On blank at first blank and other crazy ideas — pt 2 (the blues show)My Profile

13. Posted August 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I want to be as manly as you are one day.
    the muskrat´s most recent blog post: first impressionsMy Profile

14. Posted August 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

What if that grandma was really saying, “Please come in for some freshly assembled dim sum?”
    “Susan Says…”´s most recent blog post: Hurricane PreparednessMy Profile

15. Heather
    Posted August 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

I was on a blogging binge last night and don’t remember through which blog I found you but I do remember seeing this pic and thinking “Ok, HAVE to check this out”. Love the pic, love the blog. I sincerely appreciate the honesty, laughter and pics. It’s lovely to see someone who so appreciates what they have and can at the same time laugh at their self and circumstances.