pod20120117

Happy Birthday to me … in NYC … Wait, come back. I promise I won’t try to bust out any more rhymes.

I’m 42 today.

Forty two.

That’s a four … followed by a two.

No, I’m not at all bothered by my rapidly advancing age. Whatever gave you that impression?

Anyway …

In an effort to lessen the dread brought on by turning an age that feels incomprehensibly old to me (and, thankfully, also feels completely incongruent with how old I actually feel like I am), Wonder Woman and I, for the second year in a row, celebrated my birthday with an overnight trip to New York City.

Last year, we hit the streets in search of a bar with a cool view … and ended up sitting under a penis.

This year, I did some advance online reconnaissance and found the establishment shown above, where we spent a few hours relaxing on those cushions and pillows while sucking down gloriously strong Patron margaritas in an almost-empty lounge whose existence apparently is not well known to the masses.

See how cool I am? Way cooler than your typical old person.

This entry was posted in Featured Photo, My Birthday. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Posted January 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! Hope yours goes better than mine has gone today!

2. Candice
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday! And what a view!!

3. mexmom
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday!!! great view

4. Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

The best view in Times Square, and you two got it all to yourselves?? How did that happen? I guess this is going to be your x-treme-ly lucky year. Happy Birthday!
    Charade´s most recent blog post: I Had A Dream, Too…My Profile

5. Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Way cooler! Have a wonderful birthday.
    the muskrat´s most recent blog post: be gone, flowering bushes!My Profile

6. Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday!!!

7. Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! (42? pfft! A mere babe in the woods)
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: How to make yourself look like a blithering idiot to the IT department….and your bosses.My Profile

8. MissRed
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday!!!

9. Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I’m right there with you in the “feeling old” department…will break 43 this summer. How is that possible?
    BTW – love the penis picture (referred to in the above post!) – that’s hilarious.
    Heidi H´s most recent blog post: Santa’s Elves – Caught in the Act!My Profile

10. Posted January 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! That’s a great pic. (47 last wednesday…ugh!)

11. Posted January 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! Way to do your research; y’all look like you should be in a movie with that background 🙂
    Sunday´s most recent blog post: Being Strangled to Death in My Own Bed SucksMy Profile

12. Nicole
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Happy birthday! 42 means you were born in the same decade as me. I firmly refuse to leave my 30s, thanks. Well, I guess I will since the alternative is unfortunate. Sigh. At least I have some good time left in this decade. Sorry, dude.

13. Val from Cape Town
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Belated Happy Birthday DaddyS. Wow am totally envious of the view. 🙂 And, hey, the 40’s are the BEST!

14. Stephanie Z
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday!!! I am 49 and holding. Boy my twin sister is going to mad in July when she turns 50 and I don’t…

15. Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Happy Belated Birthday! You are not alone – I was also born in ’70. Oh yeah, we rock!

16. Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Happy birthday! Doesn’t aging suck? I think it does. I’m 37 with a kung-fu grip on the thirities–I will only go into the 40s kicking and screaming. I worry about what kind of immature shit I’ll pull in an effort to not appear 40. Big sigh.

That lounge is the bomb.
    Team Suzanne´s most recent blog post: What happens when a mime can’t find a circusMy Profile

17. Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday!

18. meggie
    Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

A belated Happy Birthday! May this year be full of joy and sweet surprises! Your 40s should be awesome! All the benefits of youth without the concerns brought on by ahem, “seniority”.

19. Posted January 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

42! Pfff – you are a baby, quit whining. I am an entire decade older than you, and probably more immature. You look marvelous!

Can you tell us exactly where you were sucking down Patron? I’d love to go there next time I am in NYC.

Most importantly – Happy Birthday!

20. Paulette M Clark
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday from a 61 year old woman. Yes, you have an old woman reading your blog. You may want to change some things. I have just recently realized that I am that old. It sneaks up on you but it’s been mostly fun.

21. Sandra
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Belated Happy birthday. You must be proud for still looking so young after all these years. I like the place where you hanged out. The view is spectacular and both of you look so comfortable sitting on the sofa.
    Sandra´s most recent blog post: DTS HomeMy Profile

22. Posted January 23, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What a fantastic picture. Love it, love it, love it! You both look great 🙂

23. Posted January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

If turning 42 involves all that shit you just did, then I want to be 42, too. Happy Birthday!
    wagthedad´s most recent blog post: Secret VasectomyMy Profile

24. Posted January 24, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Sounds like a great way to spend your birthday! Hope it’s a great year as well!
    Erin´s most recent blog post: Black Raspberry VanillaMy Profile

25. Colleen
    Posted January 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

To answer your tweet about why I come to your website the way I do….it’s because I am at work…..I have you bookmarked at home! Be nice and if you have time to check that crap out….write something for me to read when I get here!!! So in short, yes, I am fucking with you, thanks for noticing! Love your writing, btw.

• Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it. 🙂
      And I was going to just drop the subject, but since you’ve outed yourself: Why not just type “daddyscratches.com” in the address bar instead of the search box and skip the intermediary step?

• Colleen
        Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I guess it’s gonna be a full confession. At home that’s what I would do to get to any site I want. But at work, all of that stuff stays in the drop down and I don’t know an easy way to get rid of it. I don’t want it to be TOO easy for them to see all the crap I’m lookin’ at when I should be working. I really am not very computer or internet savy.

• Posted January 31, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

That actually is a substantially more logical explanation than I was expecting. Well done.

26. Posted January 26, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday to you… late. But my mom says it’s better when people forget as long as they remember because it means you get to keep CELEBRATING!!!!!
    XLMIC´s most recent blog post: Because that Shut Up and Run girl said to…My Profile

27. Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Thanks for the birthday wishes, y’all.