pod20120404

It will be best for my daughter’s future boyfriend if someone hides this picture from me, because if I should happen to see it on the night that he comes to fetch her for their first date, I will pummel his teenage ass to smithereens

Jayna and I recently attended our first Daddy & Daughter Dance, and the sheer cuteness of the experience killed me. I’m dead now. The End.

OK, so I didn’t actually die … but a part of my heart did … because it occurred to me, as I was escorting her from my car to the dancehall, that she will someday go to a dance with a boy, and when that day comes, she will likely remember very little, if anything, about the night that her Daddy gave her a corsage that her Mommy made, or that he got the D.J. to play her favorite Justin Bieber song, or that he danced with her as many times as she’d let him, or that he marveled at what a beautiful and amazing little girl his daughter is, or that they had the most wonderful time they’ve ever had together, or that, during the car ride home, she told him it was the best night of her entire life.

But that’s OK … because I’ll never forget it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I seem to have something in my eye.

zv7qrnb
This entry was posted in Featured Photo, Jayna. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Kate
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Aaaawww, sweet. :) She’ll remember. I know I do!

2. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, you’re killing me. She’ll remember! And if she doesn’t then show her this post and remind her that NO jerk will ever love her like you do! ; )

3. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

When people ask, “Do you want to have children, someday?” what they should really ask is, “Do you want to spend the rest of your life as an emotional wreck?”
    BuenoBaby´s most recent blog post: Remembering In The PaleMy Profile

4. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Daughters don’t ever forget loving, caring fathers who request Justin Beiber songs. In my day it was Elvis……
    Rilly´s most recent blog post: Wordless Wednesday……My Profile

5. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

And this is why Mark Cuban is dead fucking wrong.

This is the sweetest, most tender-hearted, lovely thing I’ve read in a long time. And that photo is perfect. Perfect.
    XLMIC´s most recent blog post: Samurai Trail Running…with minor injuriesMy Profile

6. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

You requested Bieber? Would have thought she would be a Van Halen girl by now.

Great photo. Sweeter post.

Kudos, man!
    MD´s most recent blog post: CHAOS THEORY: February 2012My Profile

7. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

That’s sweet. My first such event involved both me and my sister, so we involved a close uncle to share the “daddy” duties. I totally remember it. Except for my sister. It’s like she wasn’t even there.
    red´s most recent blog post: The Movie Whore is Hungry For More Hunger GamesMy Profile

8. Posted April 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Awwh I’m not the mushy type but there is something in my eye now as well.
    Vivian´s most recent blog post: SPAM WHAMMy Profile

9. Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard about these but haven’t had one yet. Now I’m a little bit afraid to go.
    the muskrat´s most recent blog post: milestones and molarsMy Profile

10. Debi
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic picture! Your story made me get a little misty eyed.

11. Danielle
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Damn ninjas, cutting onions in my room again.

12. Posted April 4, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Freaking kids. They can be so cruel.
    Tyler´s most recent blog post: Dating the WifeMy Profile

13. Posted April 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

When I was about 12 or 13, my dad took me out on a “date”. Mom fixed my hair, Dad and I both wore nice clothes (my mom even loaned me some of her good jewelry!) and we went to a very nice restaurant and we even danced. I was told some years later that part of the purpose of it was to set the bar pretty damn high for boys who were yet to follow. And it worked.

Any boys I dated, including the one I was with for three years, didn’t dare honk the horn to get me to come outside, whether or not they’d seen me watching for them; coming to the door was mandatory. Likewise, I waited sweetly for them to pull my chair out for me and for them to open doors for me (and always said thank-you). And no way was I to open my own car door. Dad was old-fashioned like that while simultaneously he (and my mom) raised me to believe I could be anything I wanted. I realize now that must have been some balancing act for him especially.

I bring this up in response to your post because, if you’re unsure Jayna will remember this Daddy & Daughter event, do it again when she’s a tween. I guarantee she’ll remember it and carry it warm and safe in her heart the rest of her life. :)
    Jan´s most recent blog post: off the (rolled-up) cuffMy Profile

14. Jill
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this; takes me back to my very own Daddy Daughter Date with my dad some 35+ years ago. And no, she won’t forget. You’ll always be her #1. :)

15. Posted April 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

I somehow got something in both my eyes.

16. Suzy
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

This is your best post ever.

17. Posted April 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Dammit! Now I have something in MY eye! And I think I need to call my dad. Just to remind him that even after all these years, he’s still got my heart.
    Gigi´s most recent blog post: And THAT is how I found myself creating a tutorial about indoor fountains.My Profile

18. Posted April 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Aw, there’s something in my eye too. The picture and post are absolutely perfect.
    Stacey´s most recent blog post: AncientMy Profile

19. Posted April 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

My favorite post of all time.

20. Posted April 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

This eye thing is catching. Damn allergies!
    Mere´s most recent blog post: See Rosalie in Vegas (and a rare opportunity)My Profile

21. Posted April 5, 2012 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Oh, she’ll remember it. I never had any daddy daughter dances to attend. Dancing was a no no at our small Christian school. It was a little like Footloose, except we didn’t have to leave the county to go to a dance. We just had to get a boy from the public school across town to ask us to one of their dances. So even though we never had a dance to go to, I remember my dad taking me out for something special every once in a while. One time it was the circus, one time it was a demolition derby. (Wow, between the Footloose comparison and the demolition derby, I am realizing I am a complete hillbilly.) Each date ended with us at Bog Boy sharing a hot fudge brownie sundae. I didn’t really care where we went because I got to go with him. It was really special just being me and him considering there were four of us kids.
    Way to set the bar really high for all of your girl’s future dates.
    Beth´s most recent blog post: Panic buttonMy Profile

22. Posted April 5, 2012 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Awwww. I think this might be the first time Daddy Scratches has made me cry. Actually cry… not laugh myself to tears, ’cause that happens often.
    Casey´s most recent blog post: Martha Project 4: Raspberry Marble CheesecakesMy Profile

23. Sheena
    Posted April 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Take it from me, a ‘Daddy’s girl’ at heart, that she will not forget. The picture is perfect and immediately reminded me of the father/daughter dance with my Dad at my wedding. I think I was hugging his neck in the same way Jayna is clinging to yours.

My Dad was notorious for taking me on spontaneous ‘date nights’ growing up. Sometimes we’d hit a late night movie on a school night, catch a hockey game or he’d pick me up from school early and let me ditch class. My point is that it really didn’t matter what we did, to this day those moments are still fresh in my mind (this coming from a 28 yr old!).

This post was simple and perfect and subsequently caused me to shed tears at my desk.

24. Posted April 6, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Totally love this. Not long ago, my munchkin (who’s 9) and I were on our way to the park. Half way down the path she stops, turns, and slowly walks back to me. Then, in a calm, trying to be reassuring voice she says to me. “Dad, I just want to let you know, in my teenage years, I’m going to be really hard to handle.” As I stood there speechless she spun on her heals and ran off to the play ground. Oh, I rue the day she starts dating.
    Smokeynall´s most recent blog post: Coolest Nickname Ever.My Profile

25. Tabatha
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

That’s so sweet! And the future boyfriend would have no chance in my house, that picture would be framed in the entryway…

26. Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Damn…it’s like pink eye…only worse, because of the emotions. But it’s sweet too. My dad never did anything like that, but we did attend Indian Princesses together, where we dressed up like Indians, went camping, slept in teepees and did all kinds of cool crafty things together. It was awesomeness!

I’m sure she’ll never forget, and I agree with the person above that suggested you take her out like that again, when she’s a tween, and then maybe again right before she gets to the age when you will permit her to start dating.

Now I’m going to go cry….thanks ;)

27. Posted April 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I totally remember dancing with my dad, standing on his feet part of the time. By the time she brings a boyfriend around, she will have changed from who she is now, and if you really love her and want her to grow into a loving adult, you’ll be able to hold yourself back from assaulting the boyfriends. Whether or not you’ll be able to refrain from commenting on their shortcomings on the Internet, well… that remains to be seen. Enjoy the moments with your daughter, knowing that each of them is a temporary gift.
    Lyn Betz´s most recent blog post: Zoom lensMy Profile

28. Amy
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

So sweet.

I remember my father daughter dance from grade school. It was part of a girl scout event.

My dad and I have always been close. I spent more friday night’s at the mall with him than my friends.

And just a month ago he danced with me at my wedding.

Don’t worry… you’ll always be her number 1 guy.

29. Carole
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Man, I have the eye thing too! This post should come with a handkerchief.

30. Posted April 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Missing my Daddy right now. Had to shut the office door so staff wouldn’t see me with tears running down my face.
    Officially I will be having an allergy attack.

31. Mary
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

My dad bought me a pair of Jordache jeans (against my mom’s wishes) simply because they made me happy. Props to the pops!

32. Nicole
    Posted April 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

*sniff* Beautifully said. Now, time to talk to my husband about getting our 10-year-old daughter out on a date soon. :)

33. Posted April 7, 2012 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Aww that is so sweet. And I seem to have something in my eye too. How weird is that?

34. Catherine
    Posted April 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Love this post….love the picture! She will NEVER forget her father/ daughter dance with you. She may forget the Bieb, but not you and how you made her feel like a princess. It’s been a long time and I still remember the father /daughter dance with my dad. One of my best memories.
    You’ve given her a great memory.

35. Posted April 18, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I don’t read too many dad blogs b/c I haven’t found that many but must I say…you’re an awesome dad!!!!
    Holly from 300 Pound´s most recent blog post: Being willing to failMy Profile

36. EJB
    Posted June 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I love the pic bro.

37. Lisa
    Posted June 21, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

She WILL remember it. I am in my 50’s and I remember all the Daddy/Daughter dances we went to.

38. Posted March 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Awwww….this is such a beautiful article. Im only 22 but I would just love to have a daughter. They are so gentle and beautiful. Im sure parting with them would be like hell…