And then I got into a political argument with Boston Red Sox pitching legend Curt Schilling

Curt Schilling is a baseball god to me. What he did with my beloved Red Sox in 2004 — the bloody sock, Game 6 of the ALCS, the team’s first World Series victory in 86 years (a victory for which Curt was largely responsible) — earned a revered and hallowed place in my heart for Curt Schilling The Pitcher.

Curt Schilling The Political Commentator? Not so much.

Which brings us to the following tête-à-tête (tweet-a-tweet?).

I thought I should let Curt know that he was missing the point.

Also: Really? Curt Schilling is going to make public proclamations about waiting in line to vote? Curt Schilling, who lives in Medfield, Massachusetts, a town whose population of roughly 12,000 is 96.78% white and whose median household income is $126,000? Yeah, I’m sure the line at his polling place snaked around the block. Let’s find out.

Curt responded with one of those knee-jerk, right-wing mantras:

I’m still not clear what that had to do with the topic we were debating, but, OK, let’s frame it in Curt’s terms: I’m sure Curt wouldn’t piss and moan about waiting seven hours to cast his ballot, right? And certainly he’d be interested to know that high-ranking Florida GOP officials have said that their own party should be held accountable for deliberately causing those long waits instead of making phony excuses about why they occurred. Let’s share that revelation with him.

Confronted with facts, Curt did what his buddy George W. Bush used to do under similar circumstances: He refused to accept reality.

Umm…

Unsurprisingly, that’s where Curt and I parted ways … but, thankfully, sports writer Howard Bryant took over and helped guide Curt to the light.

Great idea, Curt! Sounds like the sort of thing the government should look into! Oh, wait: They already are! Or, at least, I think they are … according to the article you posted. I’m skeptical, though. It is, after all, printed in the media.

m4s0n501
This entry was posted in Politics, Red Sox. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Katrina
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I don’t share your baseball views of Curt Shilling (I am a Yankee fan, after all…don’t hate me) but this just makes him sound like a blithering idiot.

2. Posted February 7, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I’ll say one thing, Curt is never afraid to make an asshat out of himself. And I give him props for not cowering on social media like his hockey asshat counterpart, Tim Thomas. But that’s the only thing I’ll accede to him. And maybe the bloody sock.
    Meg Lessard´s most recent blog post: Where I Left Texas and Walked Through Tuscany.My Profile

3. Posted February 8, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Schilling has done so much to dispel the “dumb jock” stereotype.

Meanwhile, I’m totally taking the twitter handle “schilling07″
    thedavidcmurphy´s most recent blog post: Death Breath and the Expensive Couch CushionMy Profile

4. Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Being middle class as I am I waited two hours to vote. I also live in a mostly Hispanic community here in Carrollton, TX. So yeah, I burned my lunch hour and then some. My wife in turn did the same. All for a chance to exercise my civic duty. There was one person with a computer checking voters in. ONE PERSON!!! For the love of monkeys. Lots of empty booths but with only one person with a computer, an elderly volunteer, how were people going to get through in a timely fashion. Oh wait, we live right off of the George Bush Tollway. It makes sense now. http://beingsmokey.blogspot.com/2012/11/so-i-voted.html
    Smokeynall´s most recent blog post: The First Goalie Post.My Profile

5. Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Oh, and to Meg Lessard, as an ice hockey goalie for 25 years and someone that used to like Timmy Thomas, yes, he’s the captain of the S.S. Douche Canoe.
    Smokeynall´s most recent blog post: Non CallsMy Profile

6. Posted February 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Completely excellent exchange. But WAIT – Seriously??? Schilling has the chutzpah to name his twitter account after Lou Gehrig?? I find that… reprehensible. Don’t know why. He was indeed a savior to the Sox, but, like you, I definitely part ways with him in the political arena. Maybe that’s why… (And? I know nothing about Gehrig’s politics. So. Just a whacky, off-topic comment here…) PS – here due to your comments on TheBloggess, which I always find entertaining :-)
    Gurukarm´s most recent blog post: How Would You Survive?My Profile

7. Posted February 27, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Ha! You’re awesome!

8. Bookworm1254
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Schilling is totally a Red Sox god, but I lost some respect for him during his post-victory interview. It was an election year, and he told people how to vote. Hey, he has his opinions and I have mine, but I didn’t appreciate it. Also, I thought it was inappropriate. I just wanted to enjoy the victory and not be preached at.